Boardman vs VooDoo?

johnnicebutdim
johnnicebutdim Posts: 99
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
I was set on getting a Boardman Comp MTB but see Halfords have now got the Voodoo BOKOR going at £599.99 (Boardman comp £649.99) - is there anyone who would put the Bokor above the Boardman comp?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Bokor is a harder hitting machine which can be seen by the bigger fork and hefty weight. The Boardman would be better for xc/trails as is lighter.
  • supersonic wrote:
    The Bokor is a harder hitting machine which can be seen by the bigger fork and hefty weight. The Boardman would be better for xc/trails as is lighter.

Which do you think would cope better with the C2C (Tim Woodcock route)?
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    My mate has a Bokor bought on the c2w scheme. Without wanting to seem harsh, it's an uninspiring POS it ticks all the right boxes in terms of spec but riding it just drains the will to live it is so dull & lifeless

Halfords are masters at selling reasonably-specced tired old frames and personally I wouldn't go near them.
  • .blitz wrote:
    My mate has a Bokor bought on the c2w scheme. Without wanting to seem harsh, it's an uninspiring POS it ticks all the right boxes in terms of spec but riding it just drains the will to live it is so dull & lifeless

Halfords are masters at selling reasonably-specced tired old frames and personally I wouldn't go near them.

At around the £650 mark, what would you suggest for a hardtail?
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    .blitz wrote:

A lot of people would disagree, myself and most mountain bike reviews included (search for Carrera Fury, Boardman, or Voodoo Hoodoo as examples)
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • I think the Halford range is fine, just the prepping of the bike that lacks, so I hear!

I must admit, the reviews I've read and all the questions I've asked, the Boardman does get most votes.

I've gotta stop wavering and go with my instinct and buy the Boardman.

I saw on one post that there is a code you can enter when reserving a Boardman online that gets you a better price (NUSMAY2012 I think?!). Does anyone know if it does work?
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I've gotta stop wavering and go with my instinct and buy the Boardman.

and repent at leisure as the saying goes

My advice would be to visit some real bike shops and see what's available in your price range.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There are few, if any, bikes better than the Boardman Comp at this price.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    The May NUS code has been expired now, see if they bring out a June one maybe
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • waby1234 wrote:

How do you find out if they do?
  • waby1234 wrote:

The code stopped working when they reduced the voodoo bikes permanently the other week, maybe they have put a stop to it as non students were using it.
    waby1234 wrote:

How do you find out if they do?

They were of the format NUSfirst3LettersOfMonth12 so NUSAPR12, NUSMAY12, NUSJUN12 and so on
  • The code stopped working when they reduced the voodoo bikes permanently the other week, maybe they have put a stop to it as non students were using it.

Oh, it was all about students, was it? I'm about 30+ years too late then!!
  • danlightbulb
    danlightbulb Posts: 701
    supersonic wrote:
    There are few, if any, bikes better than the Boardman Comp at this price.

How does the bike you recommended to me fare?

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1830/a58198/zr-team-6-0.html
    zr-team-6-0.jpg

Or this one:

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1830/a54521/acid-black-n-white.html
    acid-black-n-white.jpg

Both approx £640 ish and the more Greece screws up the euro the cheaper it gets!
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Great specs for the price, the zr team being better as it has a reba and it's a fair bit lighter. You just can't try it for size.
  • All great responses!

Thanks everybody.