What Adjustable Seatpost

Tiggerboy
Tiggerboy Posts: 30
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to get an adjustable post for my La Pierre Zesty 714, and not sure which is best, having read various reviews.

Fox DOSS, Crank Bros Kronolog, Rockshox & Specialized are the ones I have looked at. Which one of these ? or any others to conisider ?

Thanks for your time. :?:

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Reverb.

Run the KS and the Joplin, now have a Reverb. Interested in the Kronolog as I have lots of other CB bits but not that interested that I'll part with the Reverb, oh and the reports of scoring on the tube etc puts me off.

DOSS is five years too late and Spec is too limited and unreliable (the two in our group have been consigned to the bin in favour of Reverbs).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Tiggerboy wrote:
    I'm looking to get an adjustable post for my La Pierre Zesty 714, and not sure which is best
    Nobody is!
    They can all be as reliable as anything, or as failure prone as each other.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I've got an adjustable seatpost, it works fine.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Had a KS, it was fine. Got a Spesh command, its fine.
    Ordered a reverb for new bike, just waiting for it to arrive. Have to say I was surprised by the amount of distributors who told me of various issues / stock being recalled from shops and yes it was the improved 2012 model they were referring too.
    Still ordered one as I want to see what all the fuss is about first hand and it was a bargain. It should be miles better than the 2 I've had / owned going off what people say. (Not quite sure how its going to do this, as frankly, they held a seat and moved up and down when I wanted them to, don't know what else a post can do...)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    "All the fuss" is people blindly cirlclejerking each other off because RockShox made a seatpost.
    They still fail occasionally, they all do.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I've got a reverb and the only problem I've had was the barb snapping, but that has been changed on the new models or if you get an older one buy the improved barb for £8
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • DodgeT
    "All the fuss" is people blindly cirlclejerking each other off because RockShox made a seatpost.
    They still fail occasionally, they all do.

Sounds more fun than a mars bar with holes poked in it...

Re the failing, this is more my worry with the RS as if your stuck out on a ride and it fails, at least with the KS and spesh, you can still operate them if need be.
    Nobody wants to ride miles home on a post at its lowest position etc.

As a safegaurd, I might stick a collar (similar to the enduro collar _ but more like a light clamp :) )in the pack. Then it'll never fail :)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Collar? What do you mean?
  • DodgeT
    Was reading a thread last week, somebody stated that you could get a "euro" collar to fit around the sliding part of the post, so that it limits its travel. It was then pointed out that it was an enduro collar? I've not googled so can't confirm.

Then, out on a club ride last night, a lad had a collar on his reverb, so that it only dropped say 80mm.

Don't really see the point as if you don't want it that low, you don't drop it that low.

Anyway, had me thinking that if failure occurred ie loss of pressure and sloppy post, you could pull it up, stick the clamp on and your post would at least stay how hoigh you set it. Purely for get home emergencies.