Cleaning advice

Spighty
Spighty Posts: 90
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Im just about to pick up my used bike on Friday. My first job is to set about cleaning it.

I see that I degrease the cassette and all gears then apply new oil.

I run a detailing company so have plenty of stuff to wash and wax frame and polish stuff up.
The question is about degreaser tho.

I use a product called surfex Hd in my detailing company. It is by far the best degreaser I have ever used on a car. It's a water based product.

Is this suitable for my new mountain bike? I can't see a reason it wouldnt be? But thought I would ask.

So once I have got The bike to a clean level I can go about stripping and greasing the various bearings around the bike. What should I start with?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as long as it does not leave any residue it may be ok.

but keep it away from bearings, chain, brakes etc.

also see the link at the bottom of the page.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Spighty
    You mention keeping away from chain? And brakes?

Should I not use this to clean my cassette and chain? Before I re oil them?

I understand to keep it away from bearings unless I am stripping and regreasing them.

The product leaves no residue and is water soluble.
    It is by far the best product I have use for degreasing you should look it up.

The full name is bilthamber surfex Hd.

How often do I clean and oil my chain out of interest? I'm am a cleaning freak. I like stuff looking bling!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Vested interest perhaps?
  • Spighty
    What does vested interst mean?
  • Spighty
    Vested interest perhaps?

Sorry after googling what that is. I just wanted to say no I don't have any involvement with that company at all I run a small business myself which uses various products.

I also run a photography business as well will I have a vested interest if I mention canon?

I thought I would be nice to reccomend a product that is great but fairly unknown.

I just managed to have a read of a few of your posts and noticed you like flaming people and calling them 'tards which is quite offensive.

If I wasn't such thick skinned I would say more but I'm sure you have enough people moaning about how much Of a tool you are.
  • Chunkers1980
    Bikes don't need degreasing on the whole - you do more damage than good.

You keep degreaser away from the chain as it stripes lube out from under the rollers and that it where most of the friction takes place - it can then takes serveral applications to get it back.
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    If you get it on brake pads, it may ruin the composite and render your pads useless.

Bearings - obvious

Chains - I'm sure you know this - but chains are designed to have oil inside the rollers/links, not on the plates/outside. If your wonderproduct removes all the lube inside the chain, it can be awkward getting it back in there. Plus - oil on the outside of a chain is a great way to get your whole drivetrain covered in grit and muck. It's easier to just keep it away from the chain. (and use drylube)
  • Spighty
    Ok so should I not follow the link at the bottome of the page telling me to clean and lube my bike.
    They degrease the chain is it wrong?

I understand that the bike in general can get away with a nice car shampoo.
    Not fairy as that has a high salt content an is actually damaging to paintwork and metal.

Like I said I have a extensive knowledge on cleaning stuff I just need to know on how often it's reccomended to do something like that.

Im happy to strip an oil chain every 50 mls if needs be but what I the norm?
  • Spighty
    Sorry why use dry line and not wet lube I was reccommended wet lube but happy to use dry.
  • Chunkers1980
    You're asking very contentious questions that there is no definitive answer to, everyone has their own views.

For example I've never had a problem with using a bit of Fairy on my bike, but I know the problems it can cause and how to stop/check it.
  • Spighty
    Well like I said Im New to biking in general. So was seeking advice. I don't know how often I should do anything. I just wanted to know what is the norm as would rather look after my bike than nis treat it.

Sorry for the OCD on this front. But you have to understand I know nothing about bikes and am keen to learn
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    When I clean my bike I use a chain cleaner device (the muc-off one from halfords, works very well) with degreaser in it, to take the chain back to a totally clean state. My logic in doing this is that fine particles of dirt will otherwise build up around the links and wear out your drivetrain components quicker. Simply wiping the chain off is not enough in my book.

I then dry it and oil it. I have done this for very nearly 20 years and not had any problems as a result. I'm not sure how people can know that it is difficult to get oil inside the rollers (I use finish line synthetic wet lube, applied and then excess wiped off). Also you don't want the outside of the chain totally un-lubed as suggested (in my opinion) as the metal rusts!

Surely it's better to have clean oil on the chain each time. But that's just my opinion.

I am sure you will be fine if you use your degreaser, but only on the chain.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bit of a hose down after a muddy ride. Decent clean on the odd occasions I have to strip the bike down.
    Wipe the chain and reapply Squirt now and again.
    Lube mech linkages now and again.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Wet mud = hose
    Dry dirt = just rub it down with a dry cloth
    Drivetrain = wipe away excess crap with a rag then reapply a tiny bit of lube, I degrease the cassette and mechs every month or so if I can be arsed.
  • Spighty
    Can I use a jet wash on it at all?
  • Twelly
    Yes on the frame but avoid jet washing anywhere near a pivot point or somewhere with bearings.

Just use a hose and put your thumb over the end for mucky stuff that won't shift off the frame.
  • Spighty
    No problems. You can get some stuff called g techniq to coat the frame. Dirt just falls off it. Check out their site and look at the coating they put on a rally car amazing stuff
  • cooldad
    It's a mountain bike, it doen't need miracle coatings.
    And I would avoid jetwashing.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Spighty
    cooldad wrote:
    You are most prob right about coating didn't know how dirty these things got tho
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Spighty wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    You are most prob right about coating didn't know how dirty these things got tho

He's right about jetwashing, too.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I've always wondered, does this count as a jetwasher? It adds pressure to the water but isnt a pressure washer per say. I use it all the time pointed at the bearings and haven't really had a problem but thought i'd get peoples views while on subject...

t-s-5wg-1000-01-equip-water-gun-for-t-s-equip-hose-reels.jpg

I use that attached to a very low pressure garden hose connected to a tap. Bad idea?
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    I use one too, but very carefully.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • Spighty
    I suppose there isn't that much difference in that and putting your finger over hose then.
  • cooldad
    I use a spray head on a hose as well. It's the commercial pressure washers that cause the problem, like you get at car washes.
    But I am still careful with bearings.
    Except the pedals as watching them spin is fun.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Spighty
    cooldad wrote:
    Except the pedals as watching them spin is fun.

Now thats something I havent done since I was 10
  • mrmonkfinger
    I've always wondered, does this count as a jetwasher?

no, don't worry, the jetwashing police won't be coming for you just yet
  • bennett_346
    Oh good.
  • Twelly

Hate those bastards, I got 6 months for cleaning my patio last year.
  • bennett_346
    edited June 2012
    TwellySmat wrote:

hmm
  • mrmonkfinger
    TwellySmat wrote:

Was it because you did a Gaz and cleaned a d*ck shape onto the patio?

http://www.smh.com.au/world/penis-prank ... 1frml.html