Geneva

robgriffin247
robgriffin247 Posts: 22
edited July 2012 in Tour & expedition
Hi,
I'm going touring in Switzerland for 2 weeks at the end of June, flying in and out of Geneva.
I was hoping for some advice on how to protect my bike, the way I see it is I have 2 options.

Option 1: take my bike in my travel bag and find somewhere to leave it in Geneva, either a storage facility or with a kind person (this is "a kind person in Geneva's" opportunity to help out, good karma - and maybe a bottle of wine - would surely be coming your way!). This option means I have a guaranteed way to protect my bike on both legs of the journey, but rely's on finding cheap storage or a nice person (not an evil person who will sell my bag).

Option 2: take my bike in a box from a bike shop here in Sweden, fly to Geneva, dump the box, ride around the mountains for 2 weeks, then find a bike shop in Geneva with boxes that I can use. I fly from Geneva at 8pm on a Tuesday, and only have to ride from Thonon-Les-Baines that day so I would have lots of time to find something. The only problem with this option is there is no back up - what can I do if there are no boxes available... Also anyone with experience of Geneva could you suggest any bike shops in the city or close to the airport?

So if anyone out there can advise me, especially if you have done the same through Geneva, that would be great!
Rob

Comments

• DavidCr
    DavidCr Posts: 44
    There is a storage facility in the train station at Geneva airport. I have no idea whether they would store your bag for that length of time or what the cost is but worth investigating.
  • I think there is a 3 day limit there
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    IME hotels are happy to look after a bike bag in return for your business.
  • Rob,
    If you go to Swissport desk No.90 you can buy a cardboard box for 20 Swiss Francs. I've used the service for the last two years and they are really helpful (they'll supply you with scissors and tape). The box is a good size, so you only need take the pedals off and turn your bars. I know it's expensive for a cardboard box but it saves the hassle of finding a bike shop and then having to pay for a taxi to get it to the airport. If you go to the Geneva Airport website, go to 'Hold Luggage Information' and you can print-out the details there.
  • Thanks Fiftysense, that is exactly what I did. worked perfectly, they even let me check in 9 hours before my flight so I ditched the bike and spent the day strolling around Geneva! Was an amazing trip, had incredible (but quite hot and humid) weather all trip and the rides I did were amazing! Thanks for the advice everyone