Noob

mdre83
mdre83 Posts: 29
edited May 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi,

Completely new to biking. Don't yet have a ride although, currently looking at the the Trek 4300 Disc 2012.
Also just trying to get to know the different quality of the Shimano components. If anyone know any good reading / links let me know.

Cheers,
Mart

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shimano heirachy
    viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12856689
    Maybe post a link to the bike you are looking at - not everyone memorises spec etc.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    And hello, welcome etc.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Hi and welcome!

Can I just ask if there's any particular reason you're restricted to getting a bike from Evans or is it just because that was the site/store you looked at first? Thought I'd check first because there will be plenty of people, myself included, that would recommend a couple of other bikes around that budget that would give you a bit more bang for your buck.

First up is the Rockrider 8.1 from Decathlon:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2011-id_8168695.html

It's the first choice for most people on the forums to suggest for £500. Great forks, good spec and is definitely a great starter bike.

Next on the list would be the Voodoo Hoodoo:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_786847_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

Again, it's another bike that's highly recommended around here and recently got 5/5 in reviews on this site and in my opinion, is quite a looker, especially in the flesh.

The main things you should look at for when looking at the bikes are the forks, the frame and the wheels. These are usually the most expensive parts to upgrade if you want/need to, and both the Voodoo and Rockrider have forks that are a step up from the Trek and Specialized.

Good luck with choosing your first bike and hopefully we'll see stories of your first ride/crash/fail/jump soon.
  • Tony__B
    Tony__B Posts: 26
    As the others said. I ended up with a Trek 4300, provided by my home insurance as a replacement for an older Scott that was nicked from the garage in our previous house. Stupidly I opted not to 'top-up' the money to get something of similar spec to the Scott, and the first time I rode the Trek I regretted this.

As your riding skills improve you will find the Trek's limitations and yearn for better. I ended up buying a three-year-old Specialized Rockhopper off Ebay and it is a joy to ride compared to the Trek, which is now my wife's. Have you thought about buying secondhand? Plenty of advice on this forum...
  • mdre83
    Hi and welcome!

Can I just ask if there's any particular reason you're restricted to getting a bike from Evans or is it just because that was the site/store you looked at first? Thought I'd check first because there will be plenty of people, myself included, that would recommend a couple of other bikes around that budget that would give you a bit more bang for your buck.

First up is the Rockrider 8.1 from Decathlon:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2011-id_8168695.html

It's the first choice for most people on the forums to suggest for £500. Great forks, good spec and is definitely a great starter bike.

Next on the list would be the Voodoo Hoodoo:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_786847_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

Again, it's another bike that's highly recommended around here and recently got 5/5 in reviews on this site and in my opinion, is quite a looker, especially in the flesh.

The main things you should look at for when looking at the bikes are the forks, the frame and the wheels. These are usually the most expensive parts to upgrade if you want/need to, and both the Voodoo and Rockrider have forks that are a step up from the Trek and Specialized.

Good luck with choosing your first bike and hopefully we'll see stories of your first ride/crash/fail/jump soon.

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply.
    No restrictions regarding purchase. Evans was one of the first I came across although, just using links here to give an idea of specs :wink:
    I'm in no rush to buy so will be looking around and considering all options. Thanks for the tips etc.
  • mdre83
    Tony__B wrote:
    As the others said. I ended up with a Trek 4300, provided by my home insurance as a replacement for an older Scott that was nicked from the garage in our previous house. Stupidly I opted not to 'top-up' the money to get something of similar spec to the Scott, and the first time I rode the Trek I regretted this.

As your riding skills improve you will find the Trek's limitations and yearn for better. I ended up buying a three-year-old Specialized Rockhopper off Ebay and it is a joy to ride compared to the Trek, which is now my wife's. Have you thought about buying secondhand? Plenty of advice on this forum...

What did you find bad about riding the Trek?
    I've not looked at much second hand to be honest.
  • mdre83
    Another question: SRAM or Shimano?
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Coke or Pepsi?
    iPhone or Android?
    Facebook or Twitter?
  • cooldad
    mdre83 wrote:
    The most important bit of any cheaper bike is the fork - get a decent fork, all the rest will work ok.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mdre83
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Coke or Pepsi?
    iPhone or Android?
    Facebook or Twitter?

Neither
    iPhone
    Facebook :lol:
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    mdre83 wrote:

Either
  • mdre83
    cooldad wrote:
    mdre83 wrote:
    The most important bit of any cheaper bike is the fork - get a decent fork, all the rest will work ok.

Fair enough :) cheers
  • Tony__B
    Tony__B Posts: 26
    mdre83 wrote:
    [What did you find bad about riding the Trek?

Compared to the Scott it replaced - which was a few years old - the Trek felt unbelievably slow, heavy and unresponsive. It was like driving a truck after a sports car. The cheaper components soon told, too, when the rear mech broke on a relatively gentle ride.

When I then went and bought the secondhand Rockhopper (which was three years old but immaculate - a good find) I rediscovered the joys of MTBing and haven't looked back. And the s/hand price of the Rockhopper was less than the new price of the Trek, hence my question.

Having said that, eBay is a minefield...
  • mdre83
    Tony__B wrote:
    mdre83 wrote:
    [What did you find bad about riding the Trek?

Compared to the Scott it replaced - which was a few years old - the Trek felt unbelievably slow, heavy and unresponsive. It was like driving a truck after a sports car. The cheaper components soon told, too, when the rear mech broke on a relatively gentle ride.

When I then went and bought the secondhand Rockhopper (which was three years old but immaculate - a good find) I rediscovered the joys of MTBing and haven't looked back. And the s/hand price of the Rockhopper was less than the new price of the Trek, hence my question.

Being a beginner I probably wouldn't notice straight off... but good info thanks.
    Tony__B wrote:
    Having said that, eBay is a minefield...

Your not wrong there :roll: