Rims to disc ???

marksimon69
marksimon69 Posts: 62
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Any gadget out there to attach to a non-disc brake frame at the rear that will allow you to upgrade to disc brakes?
Front forks are Ok .... have disc brake pegs ............

HELP ??? :?:
Stop ... Stop .... there's something wrong with the bike !!!
reality: I'm shagged and I need a break

Comments

• Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I don't think so. If you have a steel frame it will be easer to weld on the fixing points but they would have to be spot on. You would also have to consider that the frame is not designed to take braking force in that area.

Buy a new frame if you desperately want discs at the back. A serviceable disc ready frame can be had for as little as £20.

Remember that a huge portion of your braking will be done through the front wheel so this is where it would be important to upgrade. As long as your V brake can lock the rear wheel when travelling at speed then you have all the braking force you should need in theory.

Why not stick with discs front, V's rear?

Also remember you will need to change your hubs to accommodate the discs which realistically means new wheels.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You can get adapters but you'll need to google. to find something local
    http://www.torontocycles.com/Selling/Adapters.html
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Have a look in the tech FAQs it is covered there.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TwellySmat wrote:
    I don't think so. If you have a steel frame it will be easer to weld on the fixing points but they would have to be spot on. You would also have to consider that the frame is not designed to take braking force in that area.

Buy a new frame if you desperately want discs at the back. A serviceable disc ready frame can be had for as little as £20.

Remember that a huge portion of your braking will be done through the front wheel so this is where it would be important to upgrade. As long as your V brake can lock the rear wheel when travelling at speed then you have all the braking force you should need in theory.

Also remember you will need to change your hubs to accommodate the discs which realistically means new wheels.
    At least you used the words I think. As at times I wondered if you actually do!

You at correct about needing new wheels though. But you miss the part about checking the frame spacing.
    OP. you need to check your frame spacing is 135mm between the drop outs.

Also the drop out shape is important to allow most of the devices out there to work.

So knowing what frame you have would help.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    nicklouse wrote:
    TwellySmat wrote:

At least you used the words I think. As at times I wondered if you actually do!

I don't understand, was that not right?

Good point about the spacing, didn't think of that.
  • Balaclavas
    Balaclavas Posts: 61
    My housemate uses this kit, really solid attachment compared to the other kits out there and definately inspires confidence. It's pretty expensive, but when the frames worth it it's worth a look.
    http://2btherapy.com/bikes/brake-therapy-conversion-kit