Changing chainrings on SLX crank - tools and technique

starbuck
starbuck Posts: 256
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I need to change my chainrings on my SLX crank/BB (M660 9 speed) as my chainrings are worn.

I believe I have to remove both cranks in order to change them, and as far as I know, you need a special tool to remove the crank on the non-drive side - something like this I think: http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/workshop-tools/tools/tools-workshop/shimano-tlfc16-hollowtech-2-crank-installation-tool.html and http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/workshop-tools/tools/tools-workshop/shimano-tlfc32-hollowtech-2-bottom-bracket-spanner.html

Are these the only tools I'll need?

To change the chainrings, am I right in saying that I'd use the above tools to remove the left crank, then slide out the right crank. I believe I then have to remove the drive crank somehow to get access to the chain ring bolts (then I assume it's a simple case of unscrewing the bolts, replacing the rings and putting them back on). Does this sound right - am I missing anything?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You only need the plastic crank tool and an allen key to remove the cranks. The other is for removing the bottom bracket - you don't have to remove the cups.
    The rings just unbolt - you will need either an allen key or torx bit (not sure which - you can look) and either a chainring bolt tool or a 20p piece.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cooldad wrote:
    You only need the plastic crank tool and an allen key to remove the cranks. The other is for removing the bottom bracket - you don't have to remove the cups.
    The rings just unbolt - you will need either an allen key or torx bit (not sure which - you can look) and either a chainring bolt tool or a 20p piece.
    or another Torx or Allen key.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ...... and don't forget the proper mounting "direction" for all three rings and that the 22 can quite easily be mounted backwards if you are not careful.

Check two times, mount one time.
    canadian. mechanic. GS1 and ProTour '04 & '05. church of bikes since 1978.