Serena at French Open

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,217
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
Did anyone else watch this game? I'm not really a tennis fan but turned ES on and the match was on. Looked like a straightforward 2 setter albeit on a tie break. Then Williams just seemed to have a complete breakdown, burst into tears half way through the tie break and lost it 7-5 having led 5-1. She then lost the first 5 games of the final set before her French opponent started cracking up too, screaming in apparent agony on some points but then playing long rallies with no problem and not bothering calling for treatment. Williams evetually lost the final set 6-3 but the final game went on for ever as neither player could win more than 2 points on the trot. Bit worried that Serena may be having some sort of breakdown as normally when playing badly she starts getting angry and uses that but today she hardly made a sound. It was one of the strangest sports matches I've seen!

Comments

• byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    This a cycling forum, must be a tennis one somewhere............................. :lol:
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    byke68 wrote:
    This a cycling forum, must be a tennis one somewhere............................. :lol:

Nope, this is "Cake Stop" no such thing as "off topic" here.
    Just waiting for Matt, Aggie, Yossie or Cleat to put the Iconic 70's poster of Tennis girl scratching bum!!!
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    It was all very strange to watch. It was almost as if serena threw the first 5 games of the third set to stage a dramatic comeback. Which didn't quite work!
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    tim wand wrote:
    byke68 wrote:

Nope, this is "Cake Stop" no such thing as "off topic" here.
    Just waiting for Matt, Aggie, Yossie or Cleat to put the Iconic 70's poster of Tennis girl scratching bum!!!
    Certainly better than Ms Williams scratching hers!
    (Here's said bum scratcher pictured last year http://lifeisreallybeautiful.com/tag/ph ... na-walker/)
    And as if nobody knows what we're on about!
    Tennis-Girl-450.jpg
    :D
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    That's why tennis is good - s'all up here *taps head*.

Any pro tennis player in traning can play shots like Federer. It's doing it in a match which is so tough.

Even as a kid I couldn't handle it. Used to play for the county and if things weren't going well I'd just have a massive breakdown/hissy fit. It was unbearable.

Anyway, can't STAND Serena, so very pleased she's out.

And as much as Wimbledon is the best tournament because of the enthusiasm and knowledge of the audience, the best tennis is always played on clay.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Didn't see it, but had a cheeky bet against her.

Double or quits on Murray losing.
    exercise.png
  • Pross
    byke68 wrote:

You haven't quite grasped the concept of the Cake Stop section have you :roll:
  • Pross
    Certainly better than Ms Williams scratching hers!

Oh I don't know, think she got a lovely big backside myself, it's the main reason I originally sat down to watch the game!
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Pross wrote:
    byke68 wrote:

You haven't quite grasped the concept of the Cake Stop section have you :roll:

Of course I have, hence the smiley.
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    That's what EPO does to you.... :?
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    That's what EPO does to you.... :?

How very dare you say a tennis player might dope! Its not EPO its all about sleeping in magic eggs and gluten free diets :lol:
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    gluten free diets :lol:

:D
    Never sure how the commentators keep themselves from laughing while discussing it!
    exercise.png
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564

And as much as Wimbledon is the best tournament because of the enthusiasm and knowledge of the audience, the best tennis is always played on clay.

Agree with you about Serena, not a big fan. When she gets beaten it's never because the other player was better that day, it's because Serena made to many mistakes, or wasn't in the right mood. Never gives credit to the other player.

Disagree with you that the best tennis is played on clay. Yes, sometimes some great rallies and angles but too many dull baseline rallies in my opinion. I like the American hard court season on the run up to the US Open. Then the night matches at the US Open especially when an American or one of the top players are playing.. Great atmosphere and some great matches.
  • Pross

Agree with you about Serena, not a big fan. When she gets beaten it's never because the other player was better that day, it's because Serena made to many mistakes, or wasn't in the right mood. Never gives credit to the other player.

Disagree with you that the best tennis is played on clay. Yes, sometimes some great rallies and angles but too many dull baseline rallies in my opinion. I like the American hard court season on the run up to the US Open. Then the night matches at the US Open especially when an American or one of the top players are playing.. Great atmosphere and some great matches.

True, but then she is saying it as it is. If she played to her best in every game then no other female tennis player could get close to her. By contrast, the French woman who beat her yesterday looked like a club player - her service action was horrendous to watch.

On the EPO comment, surely that wouldn't be the drug of choice in tennis? I'd have thought steroids would be more beneficial? It is one of things that annoys me - cycling has a reputation for drug use (along with athletics) which it undoubtably deserves but it is streets ahead of many bigger money sports in testing.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Pross wrote:

True, but then she is saying it as it is. If she played to her best in every game then no other female tennis player could get close to her. By contrast, the French woman who beat her yesterday looked like a club player - her service action was horrendous to watch.

On the EPO comment, surely that wouldn't be the drug of choice in tennis? I'd have thought steroids would be more beneficial? It is one of things that annoys me - cycling has a reputation for drug use (along with athletics) which it undoubtably deserves but it is streets ahead of many bigger money sports in testing.

True.

Settlers tums?

I once took an overdose of Settlers Tums. Felt great for weeks. Boom tish :D