monkey or dog?

learnerDave
learnerDave Posts: 24
edited June 2012 in MTB beginners
had a little debate with a work mate who thinks he knows everything. which trail is best at cannock, follow the dog or the monkey trail? im with the monkey.
falling off only helps

Comments

• waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Why not the best of both worlds and combine the two!
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • ali4390
    ali4390 Posts: 106
    waby1234 wrote:
    Why not the best of both worlds and combine the two!
    This! Although if I had to pick one then Monkey would probably win.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Monkey, but do both, some sections of the dog beat some sections of the Monkey....I love the rollers.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    monkey by miles.

however tackeroo section of the dog is damn good fun.

however some off-piste parts are better than anything on the monkey or dog.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • ali4390
    ali4390 Posts: 106
    sanchez89 wrote:
    monkey by miles.

What parts would these be? I've heard about some good off piste parts but haven't come across them yet.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Is the Tackeroo section still closed?
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    A mate went a couple of week ago and i'm sure he said the rollers were no more, ie flattened or something ?
  • funkybaj
    funkybaj Posts: 47
    DodgeT wrote:
    A mate went a couple of week ago and i'm sure he said the rollers were no more, ie flattened or something ?

Just closed for maintenance, should be opening in a few weeks I believe.

To the original question, Monkey no doubt, Upper and Lowercliff descents make it :D
    Commencal Meta AM
    Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    The monkey trail is the worst trail i've ever ridden IMO. I know a lot of people like it but I found it to be really boring and seemed to have a disproportionate amount of climbing when compared to descending. I though Llandegla was the worlds only 'entirely uphill loop' but cannock takes that crown!
  • danlightbulb
    danlightbulb Posts: 701
    The climbing is all either fire road or switchback climbing. I agree it is a little dull, but the descents are great.

I like the dog on its own too but its too short have to do 2 laps at least.

Rollers have been closed ever since i started MTB at xmas. And the top section of the monkey is closed too, they taking ages to finish this should have been completed ages ago.
  • I enjoy the two main decents on the Monkey, but overall I love blasting around FTD. You can constantly attack it. I agree two laps is needed for a decent days ride. FTD has improved greatly over the recent years. I tend to find for a full day you can pick up parts of the Monkey and parts of FTD and explore the Chase the rest of the day.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I'm not a massive fan of the monkey, sure Upper and Lower Cliffs are a decent blast but they're nothing special. The black section is a bit more interesting but still feels very out of place so I don't really enjoy it. On top of that it never seems to be in a good state.

FTD on the other hand all seems to work well together, sure it's not the techiest trail in the world by any stretch of the imagination but it all feels like it belongs at Cannock and works nicely there. Like others have said you can really attack it and it feels good, I mean I really like the very first section, and the section after the top of the climb that heads off towards the split for the monkey. Nice and twisty in places, if you work you can really really blast through them.

But when it comes to the end of the trail with the newer sections if I'm honest I think I prefer some of the older sections to the new ones too, sure the rollers are a bit of fun and there's a few little jumps and drops you can do but it's nothing special at all and just feels very formulaic. The old bits had a much nicer feel to them as part of the whole trail.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    I like both.. Prefer the monkey decents.. But FTD has loads of character..

( BTW the trails are maintained soley by volunteers... so if your not happy with the conditions, get down there on a Sunday and halp out!! ;) )
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • angry_bird
    Oh I really would gladly help, it's just not feasible, I'm always at uni, and most of my holidays involve being on placements. Having said that I probably will make an effort to get down this summer while I'm at home.
  • crispy1980
    crispy1980 Posts: 310
    i have been several timesnow andwe always do the big loop, ie ftd until the split off then the monkey then finish the dog. trouble is i really liked it at first but im already getting a little bored of it. there is a lot of tabbing back and forth between good bits. i think i did prefer llandegla as it seems more flowing. im thinking it would be a good idea for us to do ftd complete next time.
  • sanchez89
    ali4390 wrote:
    sanchez89 wrote:
    monkey by miles.

What parts would these be? I've heard about some good off piste parts but haven't come across them yet.

unfortunatly i cannot disclose exact locations but if you start from marquis drive, head down towards the white house car park, down through the gate and into the woods, then get searching.

there are plenty of trails about. just lots of fireroad to link it all together unfortunatly.
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • danlightbulb
    sanchez89 wrote:
    unfortunatly i cannot disclose exact locations but if you start from marquis drive, head down towards the white house car park, down through the gate and into the woods, then get searching.

there are plenty of trails about. just lots of fireroad to link it all together unfortunatly.

You cannot because you're not allowed, don't want to, or don't know the exact locations? I'm a little confused by this statement.

I quite often notice trails heading off in various directions but no idea where they all go. I have heard there is a forest trail which can be taken instead of the first steep fire road on the dog, but have looked and cant see it.
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 wrote:

You cannot because you're not allowed, don't want to, or don't know the exact locations? I'm a little confused by this statement.

I quite often notice trails heading off in various directions but no idea where they all go. I have heard there is a forest trail which can be taken instead of the first steep fire road on the dog, but have looked and cant see it.

i do know the location of a good few, there are hundreds that i dont know about, but im not going to disclose there location on the internet because i dont think its fair on the people that put the effort in to build those trails.

as soon as a trail location gets put into the public domain every man and his dog with a GPS or whatever will come and ride it, and soon it gets in the condition the marked trails are over cannock, i.e rutted and f*cked.

if you find it of your own accord then thats fair do's because you have put in the leg work, and you are expected to do the same and keep it off the net.

the other way is to go on a group ride and be shown. i have found a couple of trails this way, but mainly i have found the most by just exploring for a few hours.

as for the forest trail on the dog. there are in fact 2 trails that run parrallel to the first long boring fireroad climb.
    one is basically a switchback climb, the other is actually a descent back down the hill but i used it as a climb on saturday.

the switchback climb is incredibly easy to see, so i suggest you look a little harder at the bottom of the climb. you may also see the exit point about 3/4's of the way up too.
    Clank wrote:
  • danlightbulb
    sanchez89 wrote:
    i do know the location of a good few, there are hundreds that i dont know about, but im not going to disclose there location on the internet because i dont think its fair on the people that put the effort in to build those trails.

as soon as a trail location gets put into the public domain every man and his dog with a GPS or whatever will come and ride it, and soon it gets in the condition the marked trails are over cannock, i.e rutted and f*cked.

if you find it of your own accord then thats fair do's because you have put in the leg work, and you are expected to do the same and keep it off the net.

Your choice I guess. However my view is that Cannock is a public area and therefore these trails should be open to all, and if I find one I will happily post its location on the net for the benefit of others.
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 wrote:

Your choice I guess. However my view is that Cannock is a public area and therefore these trails should be open to all, and if I find one I will happily post its location on the net for the benefit of others.

thats your choice, but if you post up a really nice trail that you find dont expect it to be in the same superb condition a few months after.
    Clank wrote:
  • danlightbulb
    sanchez89 wrote:
    thats your choice, but if you post up a really nice trail that you find dont expect it to be in the same superb condition a few months after.

I do understand your point of view on the subject. But degradation of trails is par for the course. Its a shame having a trail that no-one knows about but me, rather selfish imo.

Actually, now i've thought about it, isn't having non-official trails rather dangerous? There's no start or finish end, so there could be someone bombing up the other way and hit you head on.
  • angry_bird
    sanchez89 wrote:

I do understand your point of view on the subject. But degradation of trails is par for the course. Its a shame having a trail that no-one knows about but me, rather selfish imo.

Actually, now i've thought about it, isn't having non-official trails rather dangerous? There's no start or finish end, so there could be someone bombing up the other way and hit you head on.

If it's too dangerous for you don't use them. When you're riding them you've just got to be aware that people might be coming the other way, be able to stop in the distance you can see etc.

I know quite a few trails around the chase, sure there are some that are very obvious when you're on the waymarked trails or around that area, but others take a little bit more work to find and as such you get rewarded.
  • sanchez89
    Angry Bird wrote:
    sanchez89 wrote:

If it's too dangerous for you don't use them. When you're riding them you've just got to be aware that people might be coming the other way, be able to stop in the distance you can see etc.

I know quite a few trails around the chase, sure there are some that are very obvious when you're on the waymarked trails or around that area, but others take a little bit more work to find and as such you get rewarded.

exactly, do you agree with what i have been saying about keeping trail locatons secret thougoh?

you probably know some of the one's im on about? down from the white house and over by war cemetry and some in brocton coppice yeah?
    Clank wrote:
  • Adotparker
    Adotparker Posts: 128
    I do both, stop at the cafe. Then do both again ................ both tracks are excellent for beginner and intermediate level riders ......... advanced riders will find Cannock a bit too easy!
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    There are a lot of trails all over the Chase and many of them are not difficult to find. A cruise along one of the fireroads will reveal numerous entry/exit points off to the sides the tyre marks are a dead giveaway.

Personally I haven't ridden a full lap of Monkey for months I never liked middle Monkey much to begin with and now I avoid it if at all possible. I think it started when I looked at it on a map and realised the middle bit doesn't actually go anywhere other than up-and-down the hillside. I like to have a sense of purpose when riding, rather than riding for the sake of it.

I still enjoy the first bit though from the start to the fireroad climb and of course Upper/Lower Cliff. Have spent a whole day there on the Voltage it's like taking a shark to the swimming pool

If I had to choose a favourite I would choose Follow The Dog. I worked out a while back that I've done well over 1000 laps since it was built and for all its changes I still like it. It's mellow maybe but I like the fact I can cruise round or cane it and enjoy it either way. Combine it with some off-piste action on the North side and it makes a great local loop.