Upgrading help required?

jamie 'jammy dodger'
edited May 2012 in MTB beginners
Going to start modifying my voodoo.....first up forks,Rock shox or Fox?!? :?
Still can't wheelie :(

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What Voodoo and what forks? Also what is your budget and goals for the bike? Why are you wanting to modify?
  • I have the bantu....budget upto £150 for the forks...upgrading as a project and to get most out of freeriding/cross country...not sure on the spec's of shocks available,rock shox are coming up with great reviews..new to the sport so very dependable on advice from those in the know,folk on this site have been very obliging.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    How long have you had the Bantu?
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • 2 weeks :oops:
  • waby1234
    Save up more and then sell the Voodoo. You bought the wrong bike if you're replacing forks in the first two weeks in my opinion!
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • Sounds fair advice.
  • waby1234
    If you really desperately want to upgrade anything then just do the contact points - saddle, grips, and pedals.

But otherwise either ride it, or sell it.
    2011 Carrera Fury

• Cheers,will start with the basics...the bike is perfectly fine,i get over keen to quickly...theres so much you can purchase its easy to lose sight of what counts i suppose.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    waby1234 wrote:
    Save up more and then sell the Voodoo. You bought the wrong bike if you're replacing forks in the first two weeks in my opinion!
    Totally agree.
    And, you're not likely of finding anything from Fox for £150, unless it's seen better days.
  • Abra
    Abra Posts: 338
    waby1234 wrote:
    just do the contact points - saddle, grips, and pedals.

This is where I started. aside from making you bike look that little more individual it gets you use to taking bits apart and having a look. You're going to need to save a lot more for a decent set of forks though. £250 is a good starting point. I just got some duel air Rebas fort that.

Good Luck! :wink:
    DO MORE OF WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Kelbrook eh, just down the road from me, as the guys say keep saving and thrash the voodoo or sell it, then decide what type of rider your turning into because a freeride bike is very different to a cross country mile muncher.

I'd use the voodoo to improve and learn on that way at least your riding,

give me a shout if you fancy Gisburn one sat/sun morning or hitting wheats hill etc.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Great feedback,thanks everyone.....defo up some gisburn trails,heard good things...will sort out time/day matey cheers.