Did my first 100m ride on Sunday and ended up in ambulance

NITR8s
NITR8s Posts: 688
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
As the title says, I took part in the cycle heroes 100mile ride on Sunday. It was my first 100miler and it didnt go to good. To start with I was came down with flu like systems on the thursday and was still suffering with head aches on sunday, it was a two hour drive to the event so woke up at 4.20am with only having 4 hours sleep.

I started excellent, covered the first 30 miles in 1 hour and 36mins. However, from mile 45ish it all went down hill. I found myself unable to maintain any speed and was struggling for breath even on the bottom front cog. Determined to complete it, I slugged on for the last 60 miles. At the feed station at 75miles, when I stopped I started coughing. Ignoring this I loaded up on a banana and drink and was fine for the next 11 miles, then it hit me again and could hardly breath and was really stuggling, I told my friend to go on and went back to slugging it out to the finish. Having to stop twice to try and catch any breath I could and continue on my way on the bottem front cog. Luckly two nice chaps started talking to me with about 6 miles left and was able to push me for the next 5.5miles at their pace, however dropped off again in the last half mile and crossed the line at a rather slow pace. It had taken me a disappointing 7 hours 51 mins and a full 40 mins slower than my friend who left me with less than 18 miles left go.

After I finished I grabbed my medal and collapsed on the grass unable to catch my breath, after struggling for about 5 mins to breath my friend advised I should go see the first aid team. Which I did and they gave me some oxygen, which after about 10 mins helped a lot. However, they also called an ambulance who arrived in time for me to be feeling alot better. They then done some tests on me and discovered that my heart was showing signs of early repolerisation and wanted me to go to the hospital for tests. I declined as was feeling fine but promised to attend local GP the next day.

I have attended my GP and they have determined that I have asthma as my peak flow should be 590 but was only 440 when they tested it. I know have an inhaler and have to test a comparision for the next couple of weeks to see if I always need an inhaler or if just for sports.

They have also done a new ECG and are awaiting results from the docter.

Comments

• slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    Wow, not good!

The coughing seems suggestive of exercise induced asthma - personally I only ever get the cough after stopping, never when riding (I'm not a human doctor though so not clinical advise, lots of other things can cause coughing!). Were you hoping/expecting to do the whole ride at 18mph or more, or were you a bit ambitious at the beginning? ;-)

Good luck! I hope you get it sorted.
  • NITR8s
    The first 30 miles was dead flat, so was able to do 18ish mph fairly easily. I was hoping to average about 14-16mph for the whole ride not the 12.7mph which I achieved. I wasnt coughing during riding, the cough started immediatly after stopping at the 75mile feed station. However, during riding I couldnt catch my breath, even when not really cycling.

I think I just over did it and had an ashtma attack with having hardely any sleep, being ill, the fact it was 30+ degrees and cycling the furthest I have ever done.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    So....why did you ignore the paramedic's advice about going to hospital, given your heart was going a bit loopy?

Seriously, I hope you're ok, but people die of this kind of thing, don't just say you're fine, get a doctor to make sure you really are!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Blimey, were you going for a Darwin award?
    Trek Domane 4.3. Merida One.forty 7.700. Merida CX 3. Voodoo Bizango
    "When the vulture flies sideways the moon has hair on his upper lip"
  • NITR8s
    Blimey, were you going for a Darwin award?

No just was really looking forwarded to it and wasnt letting my lack of sleep or illness stop me and after cycling 80 miles I wasnt going to give up, no matter how long it took me to do the last 20 miles. Yer it may be a bit stupid but I knew how I was feeling and would have gone to hospital if I felt it was necessary which i didnt think it was.

Obviously I will not be cycling much until I have the results back from doctor to give me hopefully the a-ok
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    440 doesn't sound too bad compared to 590, I have it too and my peak flow is normally just under 800 and I have dropped to 250 which did did result in a trip to hospital on a nebuliser etc etc.

I have come to listen to my body a lot as pushing it when not well only induces an attack and it is scary when it happens. In future you be more aware but since you now have a diagnosis of asthma take one puff on the inhaler 15 mins or so before leaving on a ride as that will help guard against the excersize inducing shortness of breath.
  • NITR8s wrote:

No just was really looking forwarded to it and wasnt letting my lack of sleep or illness stop me and after cycling 80 miles I wasnt going to give up, no matter how long it took me to do the last 20 miles. Yer it may be a bit stupid but I knew how I was feeling and would have gone to hospital if I felt it was necessary which i didnt think it was.

Obviously I will not be cycling much until I have the results back from doctor to give me hopefully the a-ok

Sorry, tad insensitive. Hope your results come back ok.
    I get asthma as well and had a scary one during a chest infection that nearly saw me in hospital, I couldn't have got on a bike around then, even when I was recovering, never mind cycled 100miles so hats off to you for effort.
    Trek Domane 4.3. Merida One.forty 7.700. Merida CX 3. Voodoo Bizango
    "When the vulture flies sideways the moon has hair on his upper lip"
  • NITR8s
    Paul E wrote:
    440 doesn't sound too bad compared to 590, I have it too and my peak flow is normally just under 800 and I have dropped to 250 which did did result in a trip to hospital on a nebuliser etc etc.

I have come to listen to my body a lot as pushing it when not well only induces an attack and it is scary when it happens. In future you be more aware but since you now have a diagnosis of asthma take one puff on the inhaler 15 mins or so before leaving on a ride as that will help guard against the excersize inducing shortness of breath.

I dont know what my peak flow was during and after the exercise as the test was done about 18 hours after the attack. I have always coughed after exercise and never really worried about it as was only a cough. I am thinking that I am only going to need the inhaler for excercise, before, during and after. However, I am having to moniter the peak flow to make sure.

I tell you what though, it must be working cos after using the inhaler, I am getting really light headed.
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s wrote:

Sorry, tad insensitive. Hope your results come back ok.
    I get asthma as well and had a scary one during a chest infection that nearly saw me in hospital, I couldn't have got on a bike around then, even when I was recovering, never mind cycled 100miles so hats off to you for effort.

No worries, thinking back i was stupid but as I always say "with Stupidity comes Greatness". (ps I have never said this before)
  • Not to be condescending, but it is really stupid to do strenuous exercise when you have flu/flu-like symptoms. The virus causing the 'flu' can infect the heart muscles leading to myocarditis. Exercise + myocarditis can = death.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    Sounds awful and hope you end up all clear. I'd have taken the offer of the ambulance as first aid training has taught me that feeling good half and hour later is not always the same as being good several hours later.

By the by, if you were looking to average 14-16 mph, why kick off at 18mph for the first 30. I know other things were probably greater contributory factors, but using 20% more of your planned energy for 30% of the ride would probably have knocked you off course anyway. I'm sure I've read somewhere that Bradley Wiggins recommends easing yourself into long rides to let your endurance muscles warm up.

Anyway, once again hope all is well and that next time you can post a succesful 100 miler.
    Someone's just passed me again
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Lets not all pretend we've always done the sensible thing. Put it down to experience.

We all love a bonk story, this isn't much different.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    iPete wrote:
    Lets not all pretend we've always done the sensible thing. Put it down to experience.

We all love a bonk story, this isn't much different.

It's very different, a bonk is very very rarely life threatening where as asthma kills. I know which one I would take over the other 100%
  • NITR8s
    Not to be condescending, but it is really stupid to do strenuous exercise when you have flu/flu-like symptoms. The virus causing the 'flu' can infect the heart muscles leading to myocarditis. Exercise + myocarditis can = death.

The paramedic did say that the early repolerisation can be caused by an infection around the the heart, but can be cleared up with antibiotics.

As for going to fast too soon, your no doubt right but cant do anything about that now.

I will post on here, what the outcome of the tests are.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Not to be condescending, but it is really stupid to do strenuous exercise when you have flu/flu-like symptoms. The virus causing the 'flu' can infect the heart muscles leading to myocarditis. Exercise + myocarditis can = death.

I think you mean 'risky' rather than 'stupid'. Stupidity implies lack of common knowledge and I for one have never heard of myocarditis before.

To the OP: it's also coming up to peak hayfever season, so you might be feeling that a little bit too.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Your peak flow reading may be a consequence of a viral infection (your flu-like symptoms on the Thursday), you may not be needing the inhaler at all once you are over this.
    As highlighted by others, hard exercise with an infection is a very bad idea, myocarditis is very serious and does happen. Unless you have evidence that you have a bacterial infection then antibiotics aren't going to help.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Still, on the bright side, how were the two climbs on the route, enjoy them??
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I'm sure the Op will learn from his mistake and not ride such a long event next time with health issues. My ride buddy was just as mad, he decided to give a pint of blood on thursday just three days before the Norwich 100 ride. Being a veggy as well he didn't stand a chance really and suffered terribly on every hill. Bad for us as well as we had to drag him around the course and so the ride turned into a 100TT.
  • alex1rob
    alex1rob Posts: 95
    Hey why is everyone being so mean to the OP. It's his choice what he decides to do with his body and if he wants to go to hospital or not.

The early repolarisation is a term given to a normal variant on the ECG, to distinguish it from something more serious. It's a bit hard to be certain with this without a previous ECG to compare to but I have it on my ECG and I'm fine.

Sounds like you just overdid it buddy when you were feeling ill, when I have the flu I'm awfully short of breath. All the best and good luck for the next 100!
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    :wink: Ventolin can increase your heart rate and some people are more sensative than others, so if this is the inhaler you are using just check your pulse after using as you state its making you light headed and let your Gp know if it continues. Sorry to nag.
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • NITR8s
    Im not getting light headed after the inhaler anymore, seem to have gotten used to it. It does seem to be helping as I am having to test my peak flow in the morning and night before and 15 mins after inhaler. before the inhaler its about 450 and after it is about 530 to 550, which is stil below what my peak flow should be. However, you need to bear in mind that it is Exercise Induced Asthma, so the main beneifts should come from exercising.

I understand the illness may be lowering my peak flow, but I always cough after exercise and I know this is nothing to do with the illness. I almost sound like I have a smokers cough, when i dont even smoke.

As for the climbs, they werent too bad, the worst being the one at 44 miles in. However, usually I am really good at climbs but my brother in law was leaving me for dead on them and usually its the otherway round.

Do you think im am crazy as I am dying to get back out on my bike again and will defo do this event again next year.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    You are not crazy for wanting to get back out again...however, IMO you would be foolish to do so without the expressed 'ok' from your doctor or consultant.
  • NITR8s
    Well doctor, pretty much said take the inhaler before and after exercise and take it with you just in case. I havent heard from the doctors about the heart issue and you know what they say, no news is good news.

However, I have an appointment on friday about the heart issue and if is all ok I will go for a 100K ride at the weekend.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Good luck, and I hope it's all ok, but just be sure to take the docs advice.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • NITR8s
    Good News, just spoke to doctors and recptionist said doctor has just added ECG to my notes. This usually means there is nothing wrong as the doctor hasnt noted that any action is needed. I have asked if my doctor can phone me just to make sure, which they have arranged for tomorrow.

Now wheres my bike.......
  • DesWeller wrote:

I think you mean 'risky' rather than 'stupid'. Stupidity implies lack of common knowledge and I for one have never heard of myocarditis before.

You'll find a lot of the cases of fit athletes dropping dead during/after a sporting event is due to myocarditis. Common infections can cause it (the virus or bacteria infects the heart muscle resulting in inflammation) but it is hard to detect (difficult to tell what tissues are infected when you have a cold, all you know is you have a cold) that is why you should take it easy and not to do anything strenuous. If you have a heart infection and you do strenuous activities, even if it doesn't kill you, you can cause irreparable damage to the heart and the only fix is a heart transplant.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • NITR8s wrote:
    Good News, just spoke to doctors and recptionist said doctor has just added ECG to my notes. This usually means there is nothing wrong as the doctor hasnt noted that any action is needed. I have asked if my doctor can phone me just to make sure, which they have arranged for tomorrow.

Now wheres my bike.......
    Good to hear you are on the mend :D
  • NITR8s
    Spoke to doctor, ECG on tueday showed no signs of early repolerisation. Pretty much said that cant really rely on a reading taken after riding 100 miles and after suffering an asthma attack. Therfore its time to get "back in the saddle again", this time with an inhaler.