South of France

ah666
ah666 Posts: 11
edited June 2012 in Holidays
I am travelling to the South of France on holiday in August and was wondering if anybody new any routes or areas to ride in the Languedoc region, specifically near to Beziers.

Debating putting my bike in the back of the car and getting away for a few mornings before the kids get up

Comments

• apple eater
    apple eater Posts: 302
    I'm sure the place i'm thinking of is Clermont L'Herault (it's been far too long since i've
    been there :( ) It was a stunning gorge area for biking and canoeing.

I am very jealous, was goiung to buy a house just outside Beziers (merviels les beziers) just as the credit crunch/recession hit, gutted is an understatement.

have a great time
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Lots of routes on here, utagawavtt.com/randonnee-vtt-gps

here, plani-cycles.fr/index_traces.php?action=1&orig=

here, ffc.fr/a_VTT/a_SitesVTT/index.asp

here, creme-de-languedoc.com/Languedoc/activities/mountain-biking.php

here, vttour.fr
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I have just come across this, just drag the IGN map around and it gives routes all on one map from different sources, you can change the map type, highlight a route and click on it and it gives the source site for the ride.
    http://www.vttrack.fr/map.php?layers=Pl ... lanicycles
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer in southern France and surroundings, wonderful places.
  • Hi
    Go to Roquebrun, it's about 20 miles north of Beziers. Stay there -if you can - on the River Orb beautiful.

Riding is brilliant. Head north to the main road then depending on your climbing abilities go north into the Haut Languedoc - quite tough and high (haut) or go towards Olargues then after that town start heading south down any road - climbs are quite long and fantastic. Very green and tree lined climbs.

Can give you more info if needed. I'm moving there in about 5 years :D
  • mickisup
    mickisup Posts: 295
    Are there recommend places to hire bikes in Roquebrun?
  • mickisup wrote:
    Are there recommend places to hire bikes in Roquebrun?

No I dont think so - unless someone delivers bikes in that area. However there is a very good bike shop nearby in St Chinian. It is one of those bike shops that appears to be run by an ex-pro. They seem to have the LOOK concession for the area. Not sure if they hire bikes but they are helpful and have a good selection of 2nd hand bikes so maybe an agreement could be made.

Another note re Roquebrun - it genuinely has a micro climate (not imagined) and is often called petite Nice because of the climate. I heard a few pros from Belgium go there in February for prepping so it's an almost all year round destination- although I don't think I'd go to far into the mountains at that time of year !!
  • mickisup
    mickisup Posts: 295
    Thank you. Where would be the most suitable TGV destination be to travel and then hire a car etc. Is there plenty also to do for the non cyclist? Plan to aim for a short break at the end of August so will try and see what hotels/B&B's I can find in the area.
  • mickisup wrote:
    Thank you. Where would be the most suitable TGV destination be to travel and then hire a car etc. Is there plenty also to do for the non cyclist? Plan to aim for a short break at the end of August so will try and see what hotels/B&B's I can find in the area.

The TGV stops at Beziers station. Taxis and hire car information available there. Roquebrun is a small village but has been getting more popular with Swiss and Dane's. So there is a good deli and bakery plus two restaurants and a winery, shop etc

Non-cyclists would like the everything goes in slow motion in a haze ! plus kayaking on the river, the jardin méditerranéen , wine tasting and good walking . Also with a car Olargues, Saint-Guilhem-le-Desert and Pezenas are worth a visit and you can get to the coast and canal de Midi easily. Coast can be a bit 'samey' so go to Gruissan a beautiful town along the coast - where Betty Blue was filmed or Cap D Agde a thriving resort where the tour stage finishes this year