cycling clubs

dav3e
dav3e Posts: 46
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all - As a recent convert to the cycling fraternity, does anybody know of any cycle clubs in the Salford area (Gtr Manchester) that are more 'leisure' orientated rather than 'race'. (Too old to start racing !!)
Ideally I'm looking for Sunday rides and/or evening jaunts, but being a newbie I wouldn't keep up with the racing snakes. (I generally average around 16-17mph). Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/clubfinder

You're never too old to start racing!
  • whithaugh
    whithaugh Posts: 1
    Try the CTC - its full of old men like me who can do 100 miles each day but maybe only at 9mph. Not sure which CTC covers Salford, how about joining Huddersfield CTC, all you have to do is come over Holme Moss there and back
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Manchester Wheelers has a pretty big membership and you'll probably find people of your ability to ride with, speak to the club secretary ?
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • dav3e
    dav3e Posts: 46
    whithaugh wrote:
    Try the CTC - its full of old men like me who can do 100 miles each day but maybe only at 9mph. Not sure which CTC covers Salford, how about joining Huddersfield CTC, all you have to do is come over Holme Moss there and back

Holme Moss may well be a challenge for the future when I've taken on a few 'lesser' climbs. :D
  • madtam
    madtam Posts: 141
    Holme Moss is my local climb, but I must admit to usually turning round at the top and coming back down. If I go down the other side then whichever way I go I know I am going to have pretty much the same climb to get back home.
    I did actually go down the other side for the first time this weekend on my newish bike which was good fun. It is staggering checking other peoples times for the climb on strava. The fastest are going up over twice as fast as me although I am better at descending as I catch up a bit according to strava.