Bike handling like a pig

Fursty Ferret
Fursty Ferret Posts: 189
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Chaps

Out this morning in a quick blast and about half way through, the rear felt like a little marshmallow-like. Nothing drastic, but it felt occasionally like the rear tyre was losing pressure and the back of the bike was squirnming a bit. I stopped to check if I had a puncture but the tyre pressure fromt and and rear was fine (to the touch). The wheel was true and the spokes were tight too. Then, coming down a steep-ish little hill I swung round the bend at the bottom and again, the back of the bike felt unstable, as if the tyre had lost most of its pressure. Got off again to check, and everything was still fine - tyres rock hard. Rode home and no problems.

Any idea what this could be? The tyres are gatorskins and were pumped to 110psi (rear) and 100 (front) prior to the ride. The bike itself is a Spesh Allez.

Cheers

Comments

• Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Wheels located correctly in the stays?
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Have you checked the rear hub bearings are ok and that the quick release is properly tightened??
  • Kingy911
    Kingy911 Posts: 134
    I had exactly the same thing on Sunday when out on a 30 miler, felt like I had a puncture again and got off to check twice, I was putting it down to the new 'slime' inner tube (4 punctures in 5 days), presuming you are not on a slime tube, could it be the very hot road surface? then again most posters on here will have been out in the nice weather and will shoot that theory down :-) .

ps, I found the reason for the numerous punctures was loose rim tape leaving some spoke holes uncovered, but not any more thanks to super glue, just hope I dont break a spoke or anything soon
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Saddle problems?
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I want to see a picture of someone riding a pig
  • Fursty Ferret
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    I want to see a picture of someone riding a pig

Come round mine and I'll show you some good stuff...
  • Fursty Ferret
    Have you checked the rear hub bearings are ok and that the quick release is properly tightened??

Yeah, everything seems ok. The wheel was tight in the stays and spun freely with no inhibition or noise when I had the bike on its back. I may get the local cycle medic to pop over and check it.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Check for cracked chainstays.
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    Suggest also check the tension of rear wheel spokes.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • Fursty Ferret
    Slack wrote:
    Suggest also check the tension of rear wheel spokes.

I checked them straight away. They were fine.

Dunno, maybe it's my imagination. My motorbike sometimes feels like it's all over the place and the next day it will be totally planted. I think half of it maybe in my head.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Slack wrote:
    My motorbike sometimes feels like it's all over the place and the next day it will be totally planted. I think half of it maybe in my head.

Maybe you're just useless on two wheels!! :lol::lol:

Here ya go - motorbike sorted

stabilisers.jpg
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    This is a profesional TT pigrider. You can see how he is perfectly fitted to his ride, most aerodynamic.

pig-riding.jpg
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Something similar has happened to me the other day. I was going down a short hill when the back wheel felt that it was trying to go in a different direction to the rest of the bike. Almost as if it was stuch in a rut or similar (of which there are non on that slope)

Got off and checked everthing was ok, which is was.

Never happened before or since.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • Fursty Ferret
    Slack wrote:
    My motorbike sometimes feels like it's all over the place and the next day it will be totally planted. I think half of it maybe in my head.

Maybe you're just useless on two wheels!! :lol::lol:

I am coming to that conclusion. But I haven't crashed my motorbike for nearly a year now so I must be getting better.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Maybe the saddle is moving around or has a crack in it?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}