Bike advice - £1600

bom
bom Posts: 29
edited May 2012 in Road buying advice
Hello!

I've spent the last few months umming and ahhing and have decided it's time to upgrade!

Have been looking at the Ribble Sportive Bianco with the following options:

1) 105 + Aksiums - £1250
2) Ultegra + Kysrium Equipe - £1600
3) Chorus + Ksyrium Equipe - £1750

The ribble is by far the cheapest way of getting Ultegra and Carbon that I can find, which is why I have been considering using them.

Are there other options that you think I should be looking at in this price range? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• benkxk
    benkxk Posts: 151
    How about a Canyon?

Such as: http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2508

Im looking at a Roadlite for my next bike. Just hard to try one :(
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    you can pick up a Trek 3.5 for £1600ish which is full carbon and Ultegra (mostly).

Giant Defy Composite is a bit more cash but also carbon+ultegra (with the odd 105 piece). Low stock though.

Rose do the Xeon CRS4400 for £1900 which is carbon+ultegra+ksyrium elites

Cube do the Agree GTC Race, RRP is 1800 but you see deals for closer to 1600.

Whatever floats your boat but I'd take any one of these over the Ribble.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • bom
    thanks for the responses so far - like the look of the trek and the xeon ... but can't find anywhere that sells the xeon?!
  • benkxk
    bom wrote:
    thanks for the responses so far - like the look of the trek and the xeon ... but can't find anywhere that sells the xeon?!

I think Rose are direct only
  • bom
    ah yes, it would appear so! if i'm honest, i'd prefer to try and avoid "configuring" myself.
  • maddog 2
    yep the Rose is mail order. The Rose is light and racey though, whereas the Trek is more 'sportivey'.

I've just bought the 3.5 for a mate actually. Picking it up tomorrow.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • bom
    if you don't mind me asking, where did you find it for £1600?
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    BenKxK wrote:
    How about a Canyon?

Such as: http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2508

Im looking at a Roadlite for my next bike. Just hard to try one :(

Yeah full Ultergra for £1000.00. Can't beat that.

But more than that their frame is amazing.
  • rando
    rando Posts: 285
    maddog 2 wrote:
    you can pick up a Trek 3.5 for £1600ish which is full carbon and Ultegra (mostly).

Giant Defy Composite is a bit more cash but also carbon+ultegra (with the odd 105 piece). Low stock though.

Rose do the Xeon CRS4400 for £1900 which is carbon+ultegra+ksyrium elites

Cube do the Agree GTC Race, RRP is 1800 but you see deals for closer to 1600.

Whatever floats your boat but I'd take any one of these over the Ribble.

Would like to know where you can get the Trek 3.5 for £1600ish . They seem to be extremely rare at full price.
  • maddog 2
    I know a bike shop owner :wink:

If you pm me then I can get you a quote. Also let me know what size.
  • maddog 2
    ygm bom :wink:
  • divingrob
    divingrob Posts: 29
    I'm in the same boat looking at £1600 for that tricky 2nd ever bike, been riding a Focus with a 105 for 4 years and looking to upgrade. What a mind field it is.

Love the look of the Xeon but should I go carbon debate is banging around my head.
  • bom
    divingrob wrote:
    I'm in the same boat looking at £1600 for that tricky 2nd ever bike, been riding a Focus with a 105 for 4 years and looking to upgrade. What a mind field it is.

Love the look of the Xeon but should I go carbon debate is banging around my head.

agreed! companies like ribble don't help - for £1600 i now expect full ultegra, a well reviewed frame and ksyrium wheels ... and for it to be good looking!
  • benkxk
    bom wrote:
    divingrob wrote:

agreed! companies like ribble don't help - for £1600 i now expect full ultegra, a well reviewed frame and ksyrium wheels ... and for it to be good looking!

Canyon!!!!! Much better value than Ribble at the moment because of the Euro ;)