Specialized secteur or allez?

Mikesroadbike
Mikesroadbike Posts: 8
edited June 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi there!
I am totally new to road cycling and about to buy either a secteur or an allez 2011 model online (due to good savings).
My main aim with cycling is to get fit and build up endurance. I've signed up for a sportive in September so need to get cracking. What bike would suit best? Does anyone know the weight of these bikes? Can't seem to find it anywhere online.
Size wise I am 5ft 11 with an inside leg of 33inches. What frame size should I be going for?
Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Neither of them... until you have an idea of the correct size of bike that fits you. You can only do that by visiting a reputable shop and by test riding a number of bikes. A correct fitting bike is more important than the marketing and model.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    +1 on trying before you buy, shouldn't be difficult to do as there are many specialized dealers out there.

As for the differences between the two, the Secteur is sold as a more relaxed, sportive bike, the Allez as more of a racing bike (although the geometry isn't that aggressive compared to some).
    The Secteur will put you in a more comfortable, upright position if you are new to road cycling, but you may eventually find yourself restricted when you want to develop a more aero position. It also weighs about 0.5kg more than the Allez, though neither are particularly lightweight. Don't let that put you off, they're both good bikes (even if you do pay a premium for the name!)

I'm 6' with a 33" inside leg and I have a 58cm (XL) Secteur, but could have just as easily fit a 56cm frame. I would suggest you try out a 56 first.
  • humpyg
    humpyg Posts: 50
    I have an Allez Sport 2011. It's my first road bike so I can't compare it to others, but I think it's great. I've done about 6 sportives on it (60-110miles each) and it's been comfortable and I can't fault it. I'm 5'9 / 5'10, and ride a 54cm. I'd guess you'd be a 56cm but best to try one out. I went to the local Evans shop to have a look at it, but they didn't have it in stock, so I got sized up, then bought the Allez off their website.

PS - Evans have the weight of the 2011 models on their site (at the bottom of the features list), i.e.
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... 6#features
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... 7#features
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... 8#features
  • Thanks lads for getting back to me.
    I am going to visit a bike shop and get sized up for them properly.
    I have also looked at Decathlons Triban 3 which seems to have a comparable spec and weight to the allez / secteur.
    Its a couple of hundred pounds cheaper than the above and I am working to a budget.
    Am I paying for the name with Specialized?
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    [...]
    Am I paying for the name with Specialized?

In part, yes, but you're also paying for a lifetime frame warranty & if you believe the marketing, R&D.
    I have a Roubaix (same geom. as the Secteur), and like JamesEs, found the 58cm (XL) a better fit than 56cm for my 6' & 33" IL. Did my first Audax (112km) on it in March, having not done more than 30km in a day & didn't feel unduly knackered or strained at the end (or the next day). Try both at a Spesh. store/LBS, see which you like & then haggle a deal?
  • Cheers. Will do.
  • dween
    dween Posts: 12
    I recently purchased the 2012 Secteur, and it's a pretty comfortable ride. I went for the Secteur over the Allez for the added comfort as I have a fairly dodgy back!
    I find it's more comfortable than my hybrid before it!
  • ineedalager
    ineedalager Posts: 374
    I have a 2011 Allez and I got it Oct 2011 in the sale I used a winter hack so it never went out when there was salt on the roads just clocked up 1,800 miles since then very comfortable done a couple of 70 milers and loads of 50 milers comfortable fast great bike. I'm 6' 1' and have a 58cm I would think 56cm for you also.
  • cheers guys.

spoke to guy at my local bike shop tonight and he has more or less convinced me to get an allez.
    Would the allez be comfortatble enough for sportives?
    56 should suit me size wise. One last thing to consider is compact vs triple?
    The guy told me he wouldnt touch a triple. I'm not convinced as I am new to this and would think the more gears the better to help me get up hills etc. Any advice?
  • humpyg
    humpyg Posts: 50
    Would the allez be comfortatble enough for sportives?
    56 should suit me size wise. One last thing to consider is compact vs triple?
    The guy told me he wouldnt touch a triple. I'm not convinced as I am new to this and would think the more gears the better to help me get up hills etc. Any advice?
    A couple of others have mentioned they use the Allez for sportives. I got mine last May and have done 5 sportives since, two about 65 miles last year, and three 100+ mile sportives last month. I don't have any problems on sportives with the bike, and find it comfortable.
    I have a triple as I live in a hilly area so thought I'd benefit from it. I try to avoid using the lowest gears but it's good to know that should I come across a steep hill and my legs are tiring I can use it. I do use the lowest gears on those 20-25% hills. Sportives are generally hilly events, so I would think having the extra gears would be useful, and it doesn't cost much more to get the triple.
  • Thanks there.
    To update you I have bought an allez 2012 compact from the LBS. picking it up on Tuesday and can't wait.
    If the compact doesnt work out too well I can upgrade this part without too much expense but I'll see how it goes.
    Cheers for the advice folks. Much appreciated.