Beginner SPD shoes

carteruk
carteruk Posts: 4
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi folks,

just back into the saddle for this year and want to try spd's. I have picked up some cheap Shimano M424 pedals so looking for the cleats and shoes now....

any ideas? aldi lidl seem the cheapest when available.

Looking for a size 11, MTD style and not the geeky road type.

budget <£40

cheers!

Comments

• Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    Will be lucky to find something (other than Aldi) for less than £40.
    You can probably pick up some cheap Shimano shoes from around £45 from Wiggle or Amazon.

However, I have found that they all feel different - try before you buy.
    If the shoes don't fit properly, you won't get the full benefit. I convinced myself that SPDs didn't work for me, when it was actually the shoes that weren't right.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    As above, the pedals are only half the equation the shoes are just as important. If they are too slack like trainers your foot will move in the shoe. Avoid anything that is classed as a recreational or leisure shoe

Have a look on CRC/Wiggle/Merlin etc
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    dhb are cheap and do the job, they've just released their 2012 shoe (i've got the previous version and find them great).

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-m10-mountai ... ling-shoe/

review for the older model http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... s-09-34914
  • steve_muzzy
    steve_muzzy Posts: 259
    Pop into a decathlon, last years spd shimano shoes circa 50
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just got my last years Shimano from Decathlon for £40.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.