Hot Spots On Feet

jimbob 2705
jimbob 2705 Posts: 109
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Hi All,

I was wondering if you could give me some help :

Today I went on a 30mile ride for the first time with my new Shimano M087 shoes (http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/mtb-bm ... HIMZSHM174) and Shimano AF30 Pedals (http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... HIMPEDA732).

After only 6 miles I could feel that the outside of both of my feet were turning numb, and also my toes. The numbness then got very sore - during the ride I had to remove my shoes 4 times as my feet were so numb and in pain.

What is the problem?

I know the shoes are MTB ones, but they have stiff soles so I don't think that is the problem. Could it be that they are too tight on the side of my feet (I have wide feet but they don't seem tight when on)?

Any help would be VERY much appreciated!

Thanks and ATB

James

Comments

• king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    Yeah, probably a little tight. I had this problem when I first started using a similar type of shoe. Purchased the next size up all good now.
  • jimbob 2705
    jimbob 2705 Posts: 109
    Yeah, probably a little tight. I had this problem when I first started using a similar type of shoe. Purchased the next size up all good now.
    Ok, Thanks.

The thing is they are big enough and they don't feel that tight - the only reason I said about them possibly being tight is because my feet are very wide.
  • cmanios
    cmanios Posts: 2
    Hey, I've had this exact same issue as soon as I switched to Shimano shoes (although mine are SPD SL). Numbness in my feet was never an issue with my previous northwave shoes. Once I switched to Shimano and only 20 minutes into a ride, I would be forced to remove my foot from the shoe for relief and I've been looking everywhere for help. Turns out, the insoles play a big role in your foot's comfort. I heard Specialized had some special insoles for road bikes so I headed to my LBS for more info. Turns out, this is all I needed to finally feel comfortable! Although they're not cheap (about 50 dollars canadian) they have made a huge difference and once the sales person removed my Shimano insoles, it was easy to see that my feet weren't getting enough support which ultimitely lead to the numbness. If you dont want to make the leap for new insoles, try to loosen the front straps on your shoes as soon as you begin to feel the discomfort during your ride. This gives your feet a bit more room to swell and they wont necessarily feel pinched within the shoe. Hope this helps, cheers