Popped tubes why

mikesdale
mikesdale Posts: 5
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Evening all.

Just wondering why my rear tyre keep popping. Thought it was my tyres, so I went and got some vittoria zaffiros 23 and new tubes. I also got a new pump with a gauge so that I knew what the pressure was. The wheels are hjc da 300( came with the Claud butler criterium. The first tube popped as I was putting the wheel back on the bike, and then the second one went sometime between Saturday morning and today. No riding at all as I was saving the plumbing world over the weekend , and quite peeved that I am not riding again tonight. Any ideas?

Ps both tubes are showing damage in the same place, on the outer edge of the tube almost in line with the valve, Presta,and inflated to 130 first time and 110 the second time. These tyres have not been ridden on, so can't be glass or thorn! please help!!!!!

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Sounds like your trapping the inner tube under the tyre beads - inflating the tube tears the inner. Inflate the inner lightly such that it holds a round shape and then insert. Pinch the tyre all the way around to check that you haven't trapped the inner before you inflate fully.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Make sure the tyre is properly seated by the valve too. I generally push the valve gently back into the tyre and then ensure the tyre is seated properly each side, before then inflating the tube to pressure.
  • mikesdale
    mikesdale Posts: 5
    Thanks guys. Back to Evans in the morning.
  • HonestAl
    HonestAl Posts: 406
    I tend to put tubes in plastic bags in my seat pouch, with a bit of talc in the bag with them. Lubricates them and makes them a lot harder to pinch when you're putting them in the tyre.
    "The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon
  • gbrittain
    gbrittain Posts: 7
    I had this problem for about 4 months on my rear wheel after having a new one fitted (got hit by a car, huff) - I have about 10 tubes in the cupboard ready to be patched up as I was replacing with a new one each time. Anyway, it started to become a joke in the end as I could only go anything from 5 minutes to a week before my next puncture, so I took it into the LBS and they fitted a stronger rim tape as they beleived the eyelets on the rim were piercing the tube. This was fitted about two months ago and I haven't had a puncture since.

On the upside, I can change a tube pretty quickly now!
  • It could be the tape before you got buy some rim tape i would try some duck tape(lol) and see if that helps if so could buy some rim tape.