BMC StreetRacer

aronh
aronh Posts: 7
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice.... having tried quite a few bikes in my budget range of £900 I have decided to go for the BMC SR01 Tiagra Compact . It felt comfortable, was fairly nippy and I liked its looks.

http://www.bmc-racing.com/int-en/bikes/ ... iagra.html

Does anyone has this bike? What do they think? Has does it feel on long rides. Should I go for a less 'boutique' brand with better components i.e. Boardman Team (105, Mavik wheels etc...) :D

THanks for any advice...

Aaron

Comments

• i had one of these couple of years ago . mine had veloce and was a very good bike ! only sold to upgrade to a carbon bike . have to say when i sold it on ebay it fetched a lot of interest and bids !
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    Dont own one of these but seem to get good reviews for what they are. There may be better components on other models but just go with what suits you best as it isnt really worth sacrificing comfort or proper fitting for 105 imo. You could always upgrade as things wear out anyway.

Personally I love the look of the SR01 and seems to tick all the boxes size wise so will be on my short list when I look to upgrade but havent yet had the chance to try one.
  • Retrograde
    Retrograde Posts: 4
    I own a 2011 Streetracer with 105s. I'm very happy with it. I don't think it's the lightest bike out there for the price but the build quality seems really good and I haven't detected much flex in the frame when accelerating etc. Only problems I've had were caused by me rather than anything to do with the bike (e.g. falling down the stairs while carrying the bike).

I think you can get full carbon bikes for the same money but as it's my first bike I felt like I'd rather get a really quality good aluminium frame and then have the ability ot updgrade to carbon later if I want something more expensive. The extra weight is not an issue for me since I'm not carrying too much lard myself and can climb faster than some 'larger' guys on carbon bikes when I'm fit.

If it fits you, it's worth going for a test ride at least.
  • richh
    richh Posts: 187
    I've got a two year old one (when they were called "Streetfire") with 105. I'm very happy with it to be honest. the weaknesses straight out of the box are the usual cost cutting items that don't cost much to put right (i.e. bar tape, tyres, brake pads) but other than that it's a stiff and solid feeling bike. You probably could get a slightly lighter bike for the same money but when I rode this alongside other when I was choosing one some of the alternatives felt almost flimsy in comparison. Don't get me wrong this isn't a heavy bike at all and it will absolutely fly if you want it to.

Mine also came with Shimano R500 wheels which have been ok, but I'm not sure what the latest version comes with. they're probably the next thing I will change but I'm certainly in no rush to do that.

I've done (sportive) rides up to 110 miles per day on it, and last year I was commuting 25 miles each way every day to/from work building up to my JOGLE. It was no problem whatsoever doing 50 miles every day.

I should add that I also looked at the carbon Boardmans but the fit/finish on the BMC is in a different class in comparison.
  • aronh
    aronh Posts: 7
    Thanks for all the replies, i really appreciate it,as its helped me make my mind up. . I tried the boardman with all its nice gear but I was only allowed to spin it around the shop!! I have managed to get about ten miles on the BMC and it feels rightfor me . From what you all say, it is not going to break my back anymore than my current bike (Spesh Secteur) on longer runs which was my chief concern.

I am not going to worry too much about weight as I will be sticking a great big bottle and toolbag on the bike for long rides. As you say Retrograde, I can allows try and shave that extra kilo off myself...

thanks again everyone.