Giant Defy 2 Initial Review

Chubby Rider
Chubby Rider Posts: 27
edited May 2012 in Road buying advice
Well I thought I’d try to add a little bit back to the forum and give an initial review on my Giant Defy 2 after using it so much to help me make my purchase.

First off why I went with the Defy. I scoured the forum and read many articles and reviews for first road bikes. The Defy range was certainly always there or there abouts with the 2 and 1 getting some outstanding write ups with the Defy 1 smashing everywhere in the best bike under £1000 category.

But before committing I visited a few LBS with a fairly open mind and tried a couple of bikes out, the Defy was far way the better fit for me and felt right. I was left with the option of whether to go with the 1 or 2.

Again I had done my research and looked into both, a thread on here also happened to be running at the same time asking the same question with most pointing towards the 1. However I went with the 2!!! The reason for this is basically better suited to me, something I think is often missed when people ask for advice on which one to buy, whilst the 1 has the better gearing and yes 105’s would have been better I looked at why it topped the 2, the main reason seemed to be the more “racier” frame, now this again is great but not applicable to me. I don’t suppose many will have read my earlier posts but I am a big lad (141kg) looking to get out riding to loose some weight.

Hence my previous comment, what is relevant to me, the sturdier frame was of more benefit to me as where the stronger wheels, the racier frame and lighter wheels would obviously be of benefit to most unfortunately not me. Anyway I bought the Defy 2.

Again through the forum I looked for advice and swapped the issue saddle for a Brooks and swapped the 23mm slicks for some 25mm Conti 4000s. I wanted to ensure I gave myself the best possible comfort to ensure I kept at it and wasn’t put off. Again what is best for me.

I have not regretted it, the ride is very comfy the seat is unbelievable I have had no numbness or back pain often associated with getting back in the saddle or starting out. I have completed my first week of training and managed 5 rides for 72 miles. I have done at least 10 miles each time with just under 20 being my furthest so far. Again not much by many standards but I am over the moon and loving it.

I have attempted to improve my diet as well and week 1’s results have given me just over a 2kg loss.

In summary the Defy 2 and the little changes I made is a great bike for me why? Because I’m using it, I’m out there doing it and loving it!!!

Thanks to forum for all the advice I’ve trawled through over the last few weeks.

Comments

• Graeme Jones
    Graeme Jones Posts: 361
    Hi Matey I have just bought the Defy 3 and cant wait to pick it up Friday. I will let you know what I think of it.
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Nice review of your new bike. I do like Giants and all owners seem to be very happy with their bikes.

Good luck with the fitness and diet campaign, I am sure you will get many happy miles out of your bike.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid