Bike maintenance

Hadgfeet
Hadgfeet Posts: 17
edited June 2012 in MTB beginners
I have had my bike for a while now but its just been in the shed. I am soon starting to ride again, I was going start again not long ago but other things got in the way and I had to postphone. At the moment I have got to sort out the disk brakes as they are bust and get a new inner tube on the rear. My dad has give me some new tires so I don't need to worry about that but, what else would I need to do? I have Marzocchi bomber 03 forks but they seem a little 'loose' and go down a lot more than I think they should, when I pedal on it they move a lot. Do they need repair? Would there be any other things that would be good to do to get the bike in better shape? General maintenance is what I want to do.

Any help would be great!
Tom

P.S. A picture of my bike
bike.jpg

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Something doesn't look right with the front end, it looks like the forks have been bent at the crown - they're not parallell with the headtube.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Could just be camera lens or because looking down on it?
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Yeah, look at the bricks on the wall, they are not straight either.

Lens has a slight fisheye effect
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Hmm, it may be an optical illusion, but the lines in the brickwork look (to me) as if they're distorting in the opposite direction!
  • Twelly
    Look at the top edge of the picture and the line of bricks underneath, they are arched like a rainbow shape whereas the bottom line on the floor arches up like a smile. Its like the cenbtre of the photo is magnified, pushing everything else out - making the fork look bent.

I don't think any of this is helping with the OP's maintenance problems....
  • YeehaaMcgee
    TwellySmat wrote:
    I don't think any of this is helping with the OP's maintenance problems....
    Well, I incorrectly thoguht the forks were bent, which would have been an useful thing to point out with regards to maintenance - as in, you need to bin the forks.
    Turns out it's just a really shonky camera :lol:
  • Twelly
    You need to bin your camera!

BikeRadar Forums - Mountain bike advice at its best

:lol:
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    If your saddle was angled any higher your bike would be in the adult section.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Hadgfeet
    Its a wide angle lens, not the camera don't worry hahaha and the seat does need changing position. The brakes are going to be the worst part. I think I will need new ones but will I need new disks?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Only if the discs are damaged in some way, otherwise no.....

What is wrong with the brakes?

The Forks could probably do with a service (or at least topping up with damper oil), download the relevant tech manual from the Mazza webby!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hadgfeet
    Discs seem fine, could do with a clean but that's nothing, and the brakes are just old, the pads were old and dirty and this has made all the metal around it really dirty/rusty. My dad works an engineer in a bike shop so hes going to take them in the shop and have a look at them.

Ill take a look at manual. Do they go back as far as 2003?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    I had that frame. It cost me £60 new. It came without decals though. Got it to replace a GT idrive that I snapped doing daft jumps at a local quarry. It's indestructible. It's also 14" and my feet kept rubbing the front tyre, even with 130mm dropoff forks. It's now my 11 year old son's bike, with different bits on it. Happy days :D

edit - there you go:

PICHardtail.jpg
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • Hadgfeet
    I had that frame. It cost me £60 new. It came without decals though. Got it to replace a GT idrive that I snapped doing daft jumps at a local quarry. It's indestructible. It's also 14" and my feet kept rubbing the front tyre, even with 130mm dropoff forks. It's now my 11 year old son's bike, with different bits on it. Happy days :D

edit - there you go:

PICHardtail.jpg

How good is this bike for jumps? I want to be able to do big stuff on it but I need to learn that yet