Best MTB or trail Hybrid with L/O under £900

frankndank
frankndank Posts: 5
edited May 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi

What is the best value MTB or Hybrid with lock out forks for under £900 I will be doing a little road riding and mostly canal rides. No heavy duty off road riding.

Must be available on cycle to work scheme so only big name bikes can be purchased.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Lots of questions in one.

Why does lockout matter. I mean I never use mine even on road, climbing stood is the only place I would .
  • frankndank
    frankndank Posts: 5
    just been advised Lockout comes in handy when climbing hills on road.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    The Genesis Core 26.3 and Focus Black Forest 2 29er both have lock out.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Why does lockout matter. I mean I never use mine even on road, climbing stood is the only place I would .

I keep my fork locked out at all times when on road or paths. Makes a difference.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    When I was 17.5 stone, I never used my lockout - but that was because I had the forks pumped so hard to take my weight that there was no need to. Now I have lost 4 stone, and lowered the pressure in the forks, I realise why lockout is so useful on the road.

However, I dont understand TwellySmat - if you have it locked out ALL of the time, then why do you have heavy suspension - just get a rigid fork.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I keep my fork locked out at all times when on road or paths. Makes a difference.

I don't just ride on roads and paths...

Plus I have a Reba. The 'lock out' isn't a completely rigid lock out. it just greatly reduces compression. So even when locked out there is still a small amount of movement - just like having the fork set very stiff.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    TwellySmat wrote:

And I'm the opposite - never bother locking the forks, since I find it makes no noticeable difference.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    TwellySmat wrote:

I don't just ride on roads and paths...

Plus I have a Reba. The 'lock out' isn't a completely rigid lock out. it just greatly reduces compression. So even when locked out there is still a small amount of movement - just like having the fork set very stiff.

Ah misunderstanding on what you meant by paths... I think of just about everything that has some form of line on it as a path, i.e. singletrack etc. Now I understand what you mean and makes perfect sense.

As said before though - if you have really stiff springs or high pressure air or I guess cheap forks which dont move much then lockout wont be perceived to do much anyway - as the forks arent very easy to move anyway and will therefore have little discernable bob.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    You're right, that's probably it in my case. Fox 36 RC2s. hmm.
    Or maybe some of us pedal smooth, you know. OR, maybe, just maybe, some of us have tried riding with locked out forks, and unlocked forks, and found that even though we may get some movement in the forks at times, it doesn't actually affect climbing ability in any way.
  • frankndank wrote:
    Hi

What is the best value MTB or Hybrid with lock out forks for under £900 I will be doing a little road riding and mostly canal rides. No heavy duty off road riding.

Must be available on cycle to work scheme so only big name bikes can be purchased.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

I'm sure Decathlon partake in the cycle to work scheme so I'd take a look at the Rockrider 8.1 (£499). That has a remote lockout on the bars and has Rock Shox Recon forks.

I'm not an expert but I've recently bought one and I absolutely love it. In fact it's just nipped in front of the missus at number 6, behind the cats and the dog as the most loved thing in my life.... :lol:
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    I've just bought one of these http://www.surosa.co.uk/369547/products ... dised.aspx Got it through Cyclescheme as well. Very impressed with it.