Brake Levers

minley1
minley1 Posts: 126
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

I currently have XTR Dual Control levers and XTR M965 Calipers, my question is will XTR M975 or M985 levers work with these Calipers?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Nope, they now have servowave.

Cheap for reasons
  • minley1
    Bah, damn this progression!

Cheers
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Interesting shimano lists which levers to use with some calipers but for the levers it implies all.

Which run with shimanos history. But let's wait for Mr Shimano to pop in to this topic.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    As far as I know they will still work - Servowave is simply a cam in the lever.
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    From experience, I can say that the proposed combination will work.

From experience, I will also say that someone will chime in (they always do) and mention something about master/slave piston sizes being incompatible, but the reality is that the differences are not significant enough to result in incompatibility.

Don't rely on the theory - actually try it out.
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    Yes, both of those levers will work. The 975 lever will work with either bore Shimano hose but the 985 levers will need the new narrow bore SM-BH90 hoses to give you proper performance.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The 985s don't have Servo Wave anyway.
  • minley1
    Thanks guys, need to find some and some shifters.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Ooi why are you replacing ?

I just don't understand, how a brake can upgrade to new version with '20% more power!' and the brake work optimally with a fully old caliper, adds up.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Easily. Why don't you think it could?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I've done it with a few brakes. Most of the power comes from the master cylinder so as long as it's compatible it generally results in a lot more power.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Most Shimano brake levers are compatible with most shimano callipers, with very few exceptions. You may get a slightly unusual feel by pairing from different generations of brakes though, when there's been a significant lever or calliper redesign.
  • minley1
    Hi,

I have now sourced a brand new set of XTR M970 9 speed shifters and XTR M975 Levers.
    I will know how I get on installing them.
  • I've done it with a few brakes. Most of the power comes from the master cylinder so as long as it's compatible it generally results in a lot more power.

most = half!! it's the ratio between the 2
  • minley1
    Hi Guys,

I have now installed both levers and shifters.
    So to confirm the XTR M975 Levers work perfectly with XTR M965 Callipers, the front lever was easy to bleed and set up, the rear just needs one more bleed as is still a bit soft.
    The biggest headache was the Banjo connectors on the calliper, the parts included in the box with the leavers were the threaded collars and olives (I assume this is the fitting on M975 Callipers).
    I scoured the web and a few LBS, but could not source the Shimano Banjos, I bought some Goodridge fittings only to discover that screwing these into the Shimano hoses simply stripped the inner, eventually I just bought some Shimano hoses with the Banjo crimped on and all was well.