Cardboard box for posting suspension forks for service

jambalaya
jambalaya Posts: 9
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a bike which was supplied with suspension forks and therefore I have no actual fork-specific box.

I now want to post the forks off to get them serviced.

The advice so far was to try and blag a spare box from a bike shop and use that. I tried one shop in South Wales at the weekend, and two shops in London, all of whom said the same thing ie we don't have any such boxes because either bikes are supplied with suspension forks anyway so there is no box, or someone buys some new forks and obviously gets the box for this very purpose. In one shop the bloke told me he had had the same problem himself and made their own posting box. (Not too sure I want to trust my Fox Float 120mm forks to a dodgy homemade box.)

Google search reveals an enormous range of boxes of the wrong size and some places prepared to make custom boxes (not sure how interested they would be in a run of 1 box though).

Any suggestions? Guessing the ideal dimensions would be something like 670mmx180mmx(?)60mm (assuming that the fork can be compressed down once the air is out) although I probably ought to measure properly when forks are off the bike.
http://service.foxracingshox.com/consum ... c_revb.pdf

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I just make my own out of a supermarket cardboard box. Takes about 5 mins, plenty of parcel tape, jobs a good one. Done it loads of times - just remeber to put a spacer in the fork dropouts to protect them.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You can build all sorts of weirdly shaped boxes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Go back to the bike shop and see if you can get the box that a whole bike came in. You'll have acres of cardboard to make up your own box, and you can make up some internal baffles as well so your fork doesn't rattle around. You need a penknife, a long metal straight edge and a roll of parcel tape as well as the box you've scrounged
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • gaff_taff
    gaff_taff Posts: 346
    As above, it does't even have to be a lbs you go, if you have any local decent size supermarkets or shops, they will get weekly deliverys and some everyday, just ask a shelf stacker if they can go and grab you a decent box from out back, then make one from that, done it plenty of times, just wrap the box with a ridiculous amount of brown tape