MTB to road

stevej62
stevej62 Posts: 14
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
I am about to buy my first road bike after a few years on an MTB. Will be using it for sportives and possibly to and from work (10 miles each way). I will be looking at alloy frames as carbon is a little out of reach. As for comfort my question is are alloy bikes that much more uncomfortable and could I offset some of this with a carbon seat post and bars.

Comments

• Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    I have a Aluminium bike with carbon forks and a full carbon bike.
    The carbon bike is slightly better over a rough road but the difference isn't massive. You will be fine with a good AL bike as long as it has carbon forks (which most of them have these days)
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • Fatamorgana
    Fatamorgana Posts: 257
    Be prepared to be bored though!
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    Be prepared to be bored though!

whys that?

I have both mtb and road and use both for their intended purposes. Road bike majority of the time and mtb for weekends in the forest/trails etc.

Have plenty of fun on either although the fun element is different.
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Tyre volume and pressure will make more difference than the frame material or design.
    Avoid 23mm tyres as they don't make sense whatsoever (despite what "everyone uses") and go for 25mm or 28mm tyres and don't pump them up to the max pressure. You're going to be at least as fast but more comfortable.
  • stevej62
    stevej62 Posts: 14
    Thanks for the advice looking at the Boardman road comp. Will be keeping the MTB for some off road excursions.
  • Fatamorgana
    Fatamorgana Posts: 257
    Why?
    Are you serious?
    I've been doing all road work these past 6 months.
    Zzzzzzzzzzz
    Then Cannock at the w/end for a change of pace.
    What a buzz!
    Far more effort required both metally and physically.
    My HR was way off the chart, I struggled with some sections, ran wide almost everywhere, braked 2 weeks too early into most every corner and found myself wanting on the 1st lap.
    "How I missed my XC riding" was my one overwhelming thought as I went around for another lap. Then another lap.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Why?
    Are you serious?
    I've been doing all road work these past 6 months.
    Zzzzzzzzzzz
    Then Cannock at the w/end for a change of pace.
    What a buzz!
    Far more effort required both metally and physically.
    My HR was way off the chart, I struggled with some sections, ran wide almost everywhere, braked 2 weeks too early into most every corner and found myself wanting on the 1st lap.
    "How I missed my XC riding" was my one overwhelming thought as I went around for another lap. Then another lap.

Sounds like someone needs to work on their bike handling and technical ability
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Its phenomenally upright (even more so than my MTB FFS!), but I hired...sorry "test rode" a Spesh Secteur a few weeks back on a ride with my parents and was amazed by how smooth it felt. I suspect that if you re looking to do some fast training that it will be too short and upright for you, but certainly an alloy frame (albeit with a carbon fork) can be very smooth.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    stevej62 wrote:
    Thanks for the advice looking at the Boardman road comp. Will be keeping the MTB for some off road excursions.

Good decision.

I have the Comp and it makes an excellent first (of many :wink: ) road bike.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid