Newb on the road!

Rushmore
Rushmore Posts: 674
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
HELLO!

Just thought i'd pop in and introduce myself..

I've just taken delivery of a new Felt F85. Went for my first ride yesterday and averaged 21.2 mph, which i'm quite please about over 20 miles for a first effort....

So if you see me wobbling about in the warwickshire area, gimme a wave :)
Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
De Rosa R838

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Rushmore wrote:
    HELLO!

Just thought i'd pop in and introduce myself..

I've just taken delivery of a new Felt F85. Went for my first ride yesterday and averaged 21.2 mph, which i'm quite please about over 20 miles for a first effort....

So if you see me wobbling about in the warwickshire area, gimme a wave :)

Woah, that's very quick for a newbie!

How new are you!?!
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    If that is a first ride, going to see this lad in the TDF in a couple of years.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • Rushmore
    umm, that was my first time ever on a road bike..

Have been on an MTB for about a year and a half.. so i'm not a stranger to pedalling...

I have no idea whats a good speed to be honest.. lol

Or what makes a roadbike a good one... lol it just felt really light.. Good fun though! although somewhat wobbly to start off with.. :oops:

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Rushmore wrote:

Have been on an MTB for about a year and a half.. so i'm not a stranger to pedalling...

Or what makes a roadbike a good one... lol it just felt really light.. Good fun though! although somewhat wobbly to start off with.. :oops:

Just to put things into perspective from my point of view. I have hit 17mph average on a flat(ish) 20 mile route once this year. Normally I am around the 16.5 mph average. 21 mph is a distant pipe dream to me.

makes mental note to get out on the bike more, must be doing something wrong
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Rushmore wrote:

I'm impressed.
  • ilovebigwig
    ilovebigwig Posts: 118
    Would it be wrong to suspect kmph?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    That is a good rate of knots. How did you get on when you went back up the hill?? :wink:
  • Rushmore
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    That is a good rate of knots. How did you get on when you went back up the hill?? :wink:

haha it was a loop...

did a quick ride today after work.. alot of traffic about but averaged 17.6mph with a top speed of 34.2..

not bad..

I'd quite like to try one of these TT's they look pretty fun! ( or not! lol )

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Good stuff, I was only joshing by the way :)

I went out tonight and it was fantastic to actually do a ride under 20mph. I have been a bit crocked this month so I have spent the last 4 weeks doing very flat rides of only 20 miles at most, which just flashed by. Tonight, I went out for 35 miles and chucked in a couple of decent climbs along the way with some undulations in between. Ahh, that was better, average speed back down to mere mortal level :roll:
  • Rushmore
    just a quick update.. pretty chuffed after todays ride..

18miles, with average speed of 18mph dead...

but the best thing was my new top speed.. 44.4MPH!!!!!!

i just decided to pedal as fast as I could down one of my local hills towards the end of my ride... Was absolutly tonking it! Never though road biking could be this much fun!!! :D

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Welcome along. I'm in the Warwickshire area too, and with average speeds like that, I'm sure you'll be overtaking me now and then.

Hands off my strava segements though. :twisted:
  • Rushmore

Hands off my strava segements though. :twisted:

hehe, I got 3rd in a segment aswell today up Ufton Hill ( near the White Hart ) if you know it? off 1st by 1mph! doh! :roll:

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Rushmore wrote:
    hehe, I got 3rd in a segment aswell today up Ufton Hill ( near the White Hart ) if you know it? off 1st by 1mph! doh! :roll:

Indeed I do know it. i'm a Leamington lad myself, and head out towards southam pretty regularly, though tend to avoid that road, heading out through Offchurch and Long Itch instead.

Not a bad effort there, certainly beating a few of the local fast lads on that road.

You can have that segment, but only that one.
  • Rushmore
    i'm a Leamington lad myself

Me too!! :)

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • So you are! I'm now stalking you on Strava!
  • Rushmore
    Heya..

just a bit of an update on my road noobness..

Went for my first Club Ride this morning on the road..

I was quite chuffed because I got put in the medium group but got told I should really be in the faster group.. :-D so things are coming along well..

here is my route for anyone who is interested :)

http://app.strava.com/rides/11007175#193134950

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Rushmore
    My first KOM!

averaged 21.9 over about 25 miles.. Getting quicker ;o)

http://app.strava.com/rides/12790612#223895623

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    edited July 2012
    Flipin' eck. :shock: {Hangs up cleats and settles down to watch Cash in the Attic}
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • sebbyp
    sebbyp Posts: 106
    bleeding hell you are going well, I though I was ok for a newb averaging 17mph for my first couple of rides! I was happy with my 33.1mph avg. spd! but 44mph! hehe. I look at the Felt F85 but went for a Boardman road team. Did you get a good deal like they were doing at Winstanleys a couple of weeks ago? keep up the good work. Im in Warwickshire too, but in Rugby.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Get out of beginners. Gwaan. Out. ;)

Take up time trials...
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Rushmore
    Haha.. Did my first 10 mile time trial a couple to weeks ago( just to basically see where I am and where I will be in the future ) (( but that's another thread ))

Did a 25:33 but I feel I could do better given a flatter course... I've also taken the spacers out from under my handlebars and put them on top with the thought of it helping my aero.. Not tried it out yet though..

Hopefully gunna try my first 25mile TIme trial tomorrow... NOT looking forward to it though :s

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • drewduncan
    drewduncan Posts: 32
    I'm a newb as well. That's a fast average. Do u kno what Ascent ure covering in ure rides? I've done 26 miles with 2546 feet ascent with average of 14.17mph :x
  • Rushmore
    umm not much elevation... maybe about 1000ft..

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Rushmore
    Thought i'd try upping the miles today on a solo ride... wasn't too bad... My back is deffo not used to the aggressive position though!

I wish i could have gone further but I quickly exhausted my local knowledge.. ha!

but 2 KOM's so thats kool.. :)

http://app.strava.com/rides/13345547

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Rushmore
    Went out on a club ride today...

25miles at an average of 22.9mph

Nearly killed me but well happy! As there were only 3 of us in the group...

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Thought i saw you today in yellow, wasn't today the rest day? Think your on the wrong forum you should be on the downhillers.
  • Rushmore
    HAHA! Took me a while to get what you were on about...

Did a 10 mile Time Trial tonight..

Posted a 24:56 averaging 24.1mph!

Never though i'd do that...

I Know i'm putting the effort in big time.. but I just seem to be getting faster and faster in every day that passes...

I'm really starting to get into this road bike lark... it's pretty good fun! :)

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Rushmore
    WELL!!!! Just a quick update....

I had another go at a ten mile TT Last night... Smashed my last time and put out a 23:41!

I'm really putting in the training now though.. including making sure i'm taking in the right foods for the job..

Getting into Roller training now aswell and doing sprint intervals on them.. I had a session tonight and hit 65mph every sprint ( 10 20 second sprints with 40 secs rest )

All in all this cycling lark is slowly starting to take over my life...

And LOVING every second of it!

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • snowjho
    snowjho Posts: 108
    Rushmore wrote:

Getting into Roller training now aswell and doing sprint intervals on them.. I had a session tonight and hit 65mph every sprint ( 10 20 second sprints with 40 secs rest )

65mph, should have been out there today with Froome and Wiggins! I think cycling fever is getting a lot of people. Well done BTW I'm impressed.my last 10 miles took 38min! Not a TT mind.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    See you at a race soon...