Replacing hydraulic disc brakes

mossychops
mossychops Posts: 262
edited May 2012 in The workshop
Hello all

I am sure this is asked a lot, but I did do a quick search to try and couldn't find anything.

I have some Juicy 3's on my bike, the front brake was serviced by a LBS a short while ago and since then the pads have rubbed and the brakes have felt hard and the lever takes a while to return. I couldn't push the pistons any further back so after consulting my Park BBB it suggested too much fluid, I followed the instructions and managed to crack the top of my fluid reservoir trying to undo a seized screw. It now seems like a cheaper option to replace the entire front brake with an upgraded model than to buy parts for this (reservoir cap, bleed kit and possible seals). If I fit a new brake to the front, will I need a bleed kit to fit it or does the system come with everything you need or pre-assembled?

I have seen Elixir 1 for £45 at CRC. Has anyone spotted a good deal that would be a better buy? My current Juicy 3's have 180mm rotor and are white so something that would fit and match would be useful.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Most brakes are ready to fit - though you may have to trim the hose, which then may require a bleed.

You should be able to use the existing rotor and mounts - this can further save you money. Though £45 is a good deal, and is a decent brake.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I recently binned the Juicy 3s on my MTB. But, no way would I stick with Avid. I went for some Shimano SLX from one of the German shops that came in around £95 the pair with XT discs. They do have more clearance than the Avids so I'm hoping no more rides of squeal induced hell :lol:

As Supersonic says, you may need to trim the hoses - I've not done so yet so the bike looks pretty silly!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mossychops
    Thanks for the replies guys. I am desperately trying to keep costs down at the moment, so for £45 I will probably just stick with a new Elixir 1 (CRC have an Elixir 9 carbon for £89 which would save me some weight but I am trying to be sensible and really don't need them).

I thought Juicy 3's and 5's used to get really good feedback; have they been overtaken by better brakes or were they always poor? I used mine mostly for commuting really and always intending to do some off-roading but never got round to it.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I think juicys were a bit like marmite.

I have juicy 5s on my MTB, which are now 4 years old. Still like them a lot. I think the piostons are getting sticky, and given the age they wont be worthwhile to fix when they go, but I am in no rush to upgrade before then.

Love or hate them though, they have been superceded by the new generation of brakes.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I have juicy 3s on my MTB and have persevered with them, but there is always some issue, sticking pistons, spring clip catching the rotor, needing to be realigned every other ride... Occasionally I hit a sweet spot and get a few rides with no tweaking necessary but then I darent take a wheel off or change anything because the constant fettling might start again... Am in a sweet spot at the moment, but they are firmly on their last warning!

Got Elixir 1s on the Boardman Hybrid and have done over 2000 miles with not even the slightest hassle whatsoever, when changing pads, wheels etc - they are brilliant in comparison. Having said that, they will probably explode tonight!!!

Pad changing is certainly alot easier on the Elixirs than the Juicy's.
  • mossychops
    Hmmm - I have just been double checking for the "resevoir kit" for my Juicy 3's (in case a cheap bleed kit and spare parts is practical) and it appears very difficult to find the right kit for my brake, but I notice that only 1 screw should pass through the rubber seal. The rubber seal fitted to my brake lever was a much larger one and had been stuffed in and then screwed down so tight to keep it from bulging out of the sides. I think this explains why I struggled to remove the screw and fractured the lid. The screw had been forced in at a slight angle.

I am not very happy about this considering a bike shop did this (the guy who did it bought Halesowen cycles off the old owner and didnt come up with the money so was only in business for a week or so). :evil:
  • mossychops
    I think the choice is made: Elixir 1s to order then. They only have 160mm in white in stock. Can I keep my existing 180mm mount and rotor or should I wait for the 180mm to come into stock so I can swap like for like (and for that matter should I order the 200mm kit for the same price?)? It's killing me turning down the CR 9 brake for only £90!

Anyone had any experience of 3rd party dot5.1 and bleed kits? They are £13 online and if they are ok I might get one anyway in case I need to trim my tubes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The bleed kits work fine. You can use the existing rotor and mounts - just clean the rotor well first with IPA.