Scott CR1 Team 2008 BB Replacement.

doyler78
doyler78 Posts: 1,951
edited May 2012 in Workshop
My bottom bracket on the above bike is shot. I think I have the removal tool but not sure what BB to buy as I've never attempted this before. I presume it is English Thread and not Italian? I take it I just take my pick of 105, Ultegra or Dura-Ace bb. Any things to watch out for on installation?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Does depend on what crankset you have and what type of BB is currently fitted.

Is your current, knackered one an internal cartridge type, or does it have external bearing cups? What chainset do you have?

Pics would help.
  • doyler78
    keef66 wrote:
    Does depend on what crankset you have and what type of BB is currently fitted.

Is your current, knackered one an internal cartridge type, or does it have external bearing cups? What chainset do you have?

Pics would help.

There is a hollowtech ii 105 bottom bracket currently fitted. It will be used with either an FSA mega exo pro which was previously used with a 105 bottom bracket on another bike or a 105 5700 or 105 5600 chainset (have both). All those are compact chainsets. I also have a FSA mega exo pro standard chainset which I have no intentions of using at the min.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Simple then; go for another Shimano HTII BB. English thread.

My 105 HTII BB is going on for 4 years old and still seems OK; others on here have had worse luck with them. Not sure what you get by going for Ultegra or DA, apart from different colours? Lighter, dearer, but not neccessarily longer lasting would be my guess.

I've read more posts about prematurely failing FSA BB bearings that Shimano.

Installation tips?

make sure the tool is snug on the BB cup; they dent / scratch easily. I have the Shimano pressed steel spanner type thing; hard to keep in place and painful on the hand. I think the socket type would be preferable, and would allow use of a torque wrench

Bit of grease or copperslip on the threads, then install as far as you can using your fingers. Far less likely to cross-thread starting them this way. Then final tighten with tools.

Don't forget the plastic tube in the middle.

For the Shimano chainsets (I know nothing of FSA) Whack the chainset with a rubber mallet to make sure it's all the way through before attaching the NDS crank and screwing in the plastic preload cap
  • doyler78
    keef66 wrote:
    Simple then; go for another Shimano HTII BB. English thread.

My 105 HTII BB is going on for 4 years old and still seems OK; others on here have had worse luck with them. Not sure what you get by going for Ultegra or DA, apart from different colours? Lighter, dearer, but not neccessarily longer lasting would be my guess.

I've read more posts about prematurely failing FSA BB bearings that Shimano.

Installation tips?

make sure the tool is snug on the BB cup; they dent / scratch easily. I have the Shimano pressed steel spanner type thing; hard to keep in place and painful on the hand. I think the socket type would be preferable, and would allow use of a torque wrench

Bit of grease or copperslip on the threads, then install as far as you can using your fingers. Far less likely to cross-thread starting them this way. Then final tighten with tools.

Don't forget the plastic tube in the middle.

For the Shimano chainsets (I know nothing of FSA) Whack the chainset with a rubber mallet to make sure it's all the way through before attaching the NDS crank and screwing in the plastic preload cap

Thank keef66. Sounds simple enough. I'll be getting whichever I can get at the LBS as my other bike has been stripped down a fair bit as I was changing cables, levers and stuff and the cables havne't come for it yet so need to get this one up and running asap to make use of this great weather :lol: