QR working loose.

Mccraque
Mccraque Posts: 819
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
My friend's just bought a new Boardman but after every ride his front wheel has worked it's way loose. At first I thought that the QR wasn't done up tightly enough....so tightened it down, locked the lever - wheel back solidly in place.

End of next ride (and no adjustment of lever) - the QR has worked loose again.

Concerning. Any thoughts as to why this is happenign?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Is it Shimano?
  • Mccraque
    hahaha....no....although My shimano hub does like undoing itself. So I carry 2 cone spanners with me...

It's a Ritchey wheel.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I mean the qr itself.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Just swap it for a shimano one. If it was shimano already then I don't think the question would be being asked.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Mccraque
    The QR is Ritchey.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    oodboo wrote:
    Just swap it for a shimano one.

+1
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Greer_ wrote:
    oodboo wrote:
    Just swap it for a shimano one.

+1

+2
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I had a similar problem - Shimano skewers fixed it. Only a fiver each from On-One, too.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Shimano skewers have a higher clamping force and will stave off the problem for a lot longer.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    How tight are you tightening it?

Should be tight enough for the lever to leave an imprint in the hand. Vast majority of the times a QR comes undone is they're not tight enough. The brand doesn't make them better, just some apply greater force to tighten them, though I don't trust ones that have tricks to make it easier to tighten (e.g. the split levers on Crank Brothers). Never sure it's actually tight enough. Just a generic standard QR, palm imprint tight, job done.

And remember, you should check the QR before and after a hard ass descent.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Mccraque wrote:
    hahaha....no....although My shimano hub does like undoing itself. So I carry 2 cone spanners with me...
    Sounds like you need to carry a leprachaun or a pixie with you as well, who knows how to properly tighten cones and locknuts. :wink:
  • mrmonkfinger
    deadkenny wrote:
    Vast majority of the times a QR comes undone is they're not tight enough.

Whole different mech eng argument.
    deadkenny wrote:
    The brand doesn't make them better, just some apply greater force to tighten them

Wrong wrong wrong diddly wrong o.

Shimano have an internal cam with a higher leverage, versus the typical external cam design. That makes Shimano QRs better than average.

Some QRs have plastic cams, which is a shit idea and makes the QR next to useless for disc forks.

Standard QRs are a completely crap design... but a really really tightly closed Shimano QR can avoid most "undoing" problems.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque wrote:
    Sounds like you need to carry a leprachaun or a pixie with you as well, who knows how to properly tighten cones and locknuts. :wink:

I'll take one if CRC have them on special...

It stays tight for some while (months) ...then loosens itself off again. Usually on big terrain. a couple of bike shops serviced it before - came loose after each instance. am servicing myself this weekend. Am going to try a bit of treadlock on the locknut - see if that helps.
  • Anonymous
    Shimano have an internal cam with a higher leverage, versus the typical external cam design. That makes Shimano QRs better than average.
    As I say "just some apply greater force to tighten them".

So yeah internal cam applies more leverage, or you can just tighten up a regular cheap QR properly to the same required clamping force ;)

With the correct force, they do the same job and you shouldn't find a cheapo comes undone any more than a Shimano.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    deadkenny wrote:
    As I say "just some apply greater force to tighten them".

So yeah internal cam applies more leverage, or you can just tighten up a regular cheap QR properly to the same required clamping force ;)

With the correct force, they do the same job and you shouldn't find a cheapo comes undone any more than a Shimano.
    Not really. A Hope QR I had had to be tapped closed with a mallet, or a monkey wrench, or kicked, in order to achieve enough tension to hold the wheel securely.
  • mrmonkfinger
    deadkenny wrote:

One with a plastic curved washer will start to deform the washer.

Hopes, with a metal curved washer, can be tightened up using Yeehaa's methods, as the washer will survive. I can't see many people spanking their QR with a mallet, though.

As an aside, a complete solution to this problem would be to have wheel-nut style (ie conical) inserts in the fork ends. QRs would be unable to loosen then (think of car wheel nuts). Or, a 15mm/20mm axle.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Or, a 15mm/20mm axle.
    (ahem) done properly, of course :wink:

I don't expect many people to use my methods on hoe QRs. But I'm luckily more ape than man, so using stone-age methods is fine by me!
  • Anonymous
    Never have a problem with Hope QRs. The brass cam needs cleaning and a smear of grease occasionally, that's it. Most the hassles people have are because they're crudded up so there's tonnes of friction stopping the thing from clamping.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    deadkenny wrote:
    Never have a problem with Hope QRs. The brass cam needs cleaning and a smear of grease occasionally, that's it. Most the hassles people have are because they're crudded up so there's tonnes of friction stopping the thing from clamping.
    Which is the problem. Well, a big chunk of it anyway. Crap design gets filled with crud, making it hard to gauge the right tension.
    Shimano skewers don't do that, they remain consistent.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    deadkenny wrote:
    Most the hassles people have are because they're crudded up so there's tonnes of friction stopping the thing from clamping.

Most but not all - brand new, I couldn't get mine tight enough to stop the front wheel moving under braking. I did them up to a point where I had visible impressions on both hands, one from the lever and one from the nut end, at which point they were too tight to be undone with just fingers (I used a tyre lever). Swapping to Shimano skewers (also brand new) provided the fix. Hope hubs are fantastic and I'd recommend them to anyone, it's a shame that the skewers aren't quite so good
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er