Rear derailleur/spokes!

extrusion
extrusion Posts: 247
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Hi

I have a Ribble Gran Fondo. Took the rear wheel of last night to check the bearings are still running smooth. Popped it back on. Not the first time. Tightened the qr a bit tighter than normal.

Went out this morning and noticed the indexing was all off, started adjusting it but rather than having to tighten the cable I was loosening it! So put it into the biggest rear cog and immediately stopped as it was clattering against the spokes. Had the H screw come loose???

Anyway, I found that it was when i tightened the q/r it would move the rear derailleur inwards, probably up to a centimetre! Is this normal? Had Ribble set the gears according to their limp wristed tightening previously, and now I'd tightened it more I need to set it up again?

I put it back on so it was ribble tight and this stopped the problem with the spokes. However now I'm scared it's too loose!

I suppose my question is, is this normal, should the hanger bend inwards when you tighten the q/r? or have I not got the axle right up into the hanger and so it can exert more bending pressure than it should?

I'll check it out at lunch but didn't have time this morning after all the messing with the gears!

Comments

• slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    Perhaps check the wheel q/r is seated fully into the dropout. I wouldn't expect the derailleur to move when tightening the q/r, doesn't sound right at all.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    both my Madone and my Cervelo move a small amount when I really tighten the skewers (my Zipps have a habit of working loose if their not pretty tight!)...anyway yes I do get a small amount of movement if I change over wheels. over a centimeter is a lot ! has your break away hanger had a wack or is bent ? they can be quite flimsy !
  • extrusion
    Perhaps check the wheel q/r is seated fully into the dropout. I wouldn't expect the derailleur to move when tightening the q/r, doesn't sound right at all.

I had a quick check. It's boiling out there!

I couldn't seem to get the wheel to sit any higher in the dropouts, the quick release basically has a gap above it inside the dropout, so does that mean it isn't fully in? I poked the derailleur with my finger and it's really easy to move it in to the spokes with q/r undone.

Well, i tightened the q/r a decent amount and the derailleur moved only a couple of mil this time, so I am happy it's clear of the spokes now. When i get home I'll see if I can open the seat stays out a little, see if that helps the wheel slot in more.

I only use that gear for serious hills :wink: , one of which is on the way home tonight!
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    Thats sounds like the hanger is fatigued and about to snap!! Get on ebay Identify yours and get a new one ordered! Theres loads on there for about £8. Always a good idea to have a spare hanger, incase of a tumble
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Check the bolts holding the hanger and mech on are tight?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Sounds like the screws holding rear mech hanger are loose or the mech hanger itself is about to fail. Rear wheel should sit firmly in the drop-outs - push-down firmly on the saddle if necessary to 'seat' the wheel. If you're not mechanically-minded, get your LBS to look at it - your rear mech coming adrift and into the rear spokes could be sudden, painful and expensive.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Sounds like the screws holding rear mech hanger are loose......

Entirely likely. They worked loose on my Gran Fondo. Don't recall how long it took but it was maybe a couple of thousand miles. I tightened them up again and they remained fine until the frame went back with the dropout crack problem. New frame got its maiden ride today - I should probably check those screws! :lol:

Incidentally, the chain stay is an awkward design on the Gran Fondo - it gets in the way of the skewer nut. It's probably best to remove the skewer entirely while seating the wheel and then fit the skewer only when you can see the wheel is seated correctly.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • extrusion
    Right. All checked and all fine, derailleur now no longer hitting spokes at all. Maybe it just wasnt recessed enough into the dropout.

Twas a lovely ride back too!
  • extrusion
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Sounds like the screws holding rear mech hanger are loose or the mech hanger itself is about to fail. Rear wheel should sit firmly in the drop-outs - push-down firmly on the saddle if necessary to 'seat' the wheel. If you're not mechanically-minded, get your LBS to look at it - your rear mech coming adrift and into the rear spokes could be sudden, painful and expensive.

Bit of an old thread to resurrect, but ... The hanger broke on monday, sending derailleur into spokes, clanging the chain stay in the process. Ordered a new hanger, mech and chain from ribble. Hanger didnt come with screws, luckily the original were still in the frame, tried to fit it, thread has stripped. Hanger is made of cheese! Not happy :evil: 1000 quid diwn the drain for the sake of a 14 bit of cheese?

Asked ribble if the frame is usable and they have asked to see it, waiting for a suitcase apparently to send it back. <sob>
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The hangers are supposed to be soft, so the frame isn't damaged if the derailleur gets a whack. The screws are very small so it's quite easy to strip the threads; you have to be gentle when you fit them.

The hanger is supposed to have tapped holes, no? So if the new one's not been correctly made then you should be able to get a direct replacement from Ribble.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}