How do you fit tri bars?

Teach
Teach Posts: 386
edited June 2012 in Workshop
Beford you all start I know you fasten the Allen screws! I've just put them on for the season. Last year they were really close and missed all the cables, but the bike felt too twitchy. This week I put them a bit further part but the cables are now under the bars. I don't want the bars to live on the bike permanently, if they were I'd re route the cables around the bars. The tri bars are about an inch just past the end of the bar tape.
How tight can you tighten the bars if there are cables underneath. Will they get damaged? If they won't I'll clamp it down and I am sorted, if they'll get damaged, what do I do or what do you do?
Cheers

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Can you not retape the bars to allow the cables to run outside the clamps?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Are you saying that you want to have the clamp over the cables ? This will probably cause them cables to seize. With mine there is enough of a gap from the end of the bar tape that I can route them out of the way. They end up touching the tri-bars so there is an annoying rattle but the rattle has to compete with the creaks that come from various other parts of the bike.
  • Teach
    Teach Posts: 386
    Looks like I'm going to have to take the tape off. Think I might have to run the cable out of the bar tape and then finish the bar tape back under the cables.
    Thanks for your comments.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Just swapped the tri bars on my bike so I think I can see your problem (assuming your cables are the same as mine). The brake cable emerges from the bar tape at the front of the handlebar and interferes with the clamp for the bars. What I did was tighten up the bolt at the back more than the front which allowed a channel at the front so the cable can go between the two halves of the clamp in front of the bolt. I could post a picture.