Cosmic SLR for UK road racing and crits?

parajba
parajba Posts: 95
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
What do you guys think of the Cosmic SLR for UK racing (Cat E123)? Or better off with a pair of C24 for less than half the price? I have an aero frame so the C24 might look a bit 'silly'. Awesome wheels though (from what I've heard).

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    SLRs for looks, C24s for performance. The Shimanos are surprisingly aero, andquite a bit lighter. Nice wheels. You don't loose anything noticeable on the climbs with the SLRs but you don't gain anything aero wise either.
  • Rule74Please
    Rule74Please Posts: 307
    Why not just standard Cosmics instead of the SLR
  • parajba
    @Inseine: that's what I thought. I would have gone for the C24 if it wasn't that I had an 'aero' frame (Cervelo S2). I think it looks ugly with shallow rims...Maybe the black shiny carbon and the white decals of the C24 will look OK.

Rule74Please: the SL are too heavy...Right now I have 404 tubs which weight a lot less than the SLs...
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I use Cosmic SL's and Fulcrum 1's in racing...fulcrums for climby courses of if there's a big wind. I mostly use my SL's in crits as they are all pretty much flat (in the south)
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    parajba wrote:
    I think it looks ugly with shallow rims

It doesn't matter what it looks like if it's for racing. You just want the best kit for the job, don't you? I reckon C24's would be great for racing on.
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    Why not just use your 404s?
  • parajba
    dawebbo wrote:
    Why not just use your 404s?

Hi David,

well, it's lack of time mainly. I spent 6 hours cleaning the carbon rims, plus several evenings doing the layers etc only to find out that I didn't degrease the rims enough (with acetone for example), meaning I have to re-do everything again. (And on top of that the front wheel is not even centered).

I could have trained/raced instead. With a small baby and a busy job time is a luxury I don't have unfortuantely...C24 + Veloflex Corsa + good latex tube might be a good option too.
  • Rule74Please
    Rule74Please Posts: 307
    Cosmics Carbones were not that long ago a pro wheel. Had a picture of Vino Petacchi and a coupleof others using them. This day had them climbing the Col de Rates in spain and finishing with an uphill sprint.

Ale Jet won in a canter.

Cosmic SL are an overkill for Amateur racing. Anything more expensive is just a waste of your money.