Chiltern 100 - Croto Route

iandennis
iandennis Posts: 238
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Had a great time today on the Chiltern 100, only managed to get a space on the short 58 mile route. Nice to see everybody offering encouragement and support. Great Weather as well :)

Total 75 miles - cycled to the event from home and back again, most distance I've every done in one day but really great fun.

Things I learnt :

The importance of hydration, especially in this heat.
Tricross Sport makes a pretty good road bike, bit heavy but able to keep up most of the time. 38mph downhill gave a big smile but really glad I didn't have to brake hard as might of taken a while to slow down.
Take the rack off next time and maybe the mudguards as well.
Charge the Garmin as it seemed to eat through battery really fast and with the charge I had only had "electronics" to the feed station halfway so no ideal of how far or fast.
Specialized Riva Road saddle is a bit rubbish, really could feel the sit bones from 45 miles. Time for an upgrade I think,to somthing which doesn't resemble a brick.

Well done to all who took part, hope to had as much fun as i did. And a big thanks to the organisers - very well put together event.

Comments

• p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    iandennis wrote:
    Had a great time today on the Chiltern 100, only managed to get a space on the short 58 mile route. Nice to see everybody offering encouragement and support. Great Weather as well :)

Total 75 miles - cycled to the event from home and back again, most distance I've every done in one day but really great fun.

Things I learnt :

The importance of hydration, especially in this heat.
    Tricross Sport makes a pretty good road bike, bit heavy but able to keep up most of the time. 38mph downhill gave a big smile but really glad I didn't have to brake hard as might of taken a while to slow down.
    Take the rack off next time and maybe the mudguards as well.
    Charge the Garmin as it seemed to eat through battery really fast and with the charge I had only had "electronics" to the feed station halfway so no ideal of how far or fast.
    Specialized Riva Road saddle is a bit rubbish, really could feel the sit bones from 45 miles. Time for an upgrade I think,to somthing which doesn't resemble a brick.

Well done to all who took part, hope to had as much fun as i did. And a big thanks to the organisers - very well put together event.

I agree, very good event, well planned and route marked. My wife and I did the Corto route together and we had a great time, some very supportive folk out there. The weather was FAB, but I'm glad we under the trees on that big hill!
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin