well that's a first

explosifpete
explosifpete Posts: 1,327
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
while out on a ride earlier a Kestrel swooped down from above and smacked in to my top tube before hanging on the my leg.
I was a little surprised by this, after saying F**kin hell what was that a few times I moved the little dude to the verge and called the rspb, they advised taking it home and nursing it back to health, I didn't really fancy having a bird of prey in my jersey pocket so rode home to get the van.
On my return he was gone, hopefully he just shook it off like a double hard bastard or was picked up by someone.
My dreams of having a pet kestrel were squashed :(
IMAG0376.jpg

Comments

• mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    did he see a tiny little worm somewhere near your leg, mm din din :lol:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • explosifpete
    Kestrels don't eat worms but they are keen on black birds........ not that i've ever had one of those between my legs
  • lycraholic
    lycraholic Posts: 127
    That's a male sparrowhawk. They often hunt by dodging low along roads and hedgelines; bad luck indeed to hit a bike! :P
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    You should have followed the RSPB advice and stuffed it in a jersey pocket just to confuse your fellow cyclists at the cakestop..'OMG, he's got a bird in his back pocket..wtf?!!' :D
  • explosifpete
    a sparrow hawk you say?
    After closer inspection your right, I said kestrel as it dive bombed me and I thought that was a kestrel thing
  • bartman100
    bartman100 Posts: 544
    A Kestrel thread! BUMP!

I love:

Kes-5305_1.jpg
  • bartman100
    bartman100 Posts: 544
    Has anyone else accidentally killed a bird of prey whilst out for a ride? I once got a Hen Harrier stuck between my spokes.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Got confronted by a peacock on a country lane riding back from my club's ten on thursday night, certainly a first!
  • explosifpete
    that could of been me if Kes was still there, I would of always been in fear of brother jud tho
  • mattshrops
    bartman100 wrote:
    A Kestrel thread! BUMP!

I love:

Kes-5305_1.jpg

"I'll get thee Mcdowell" :lol:
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    You should have picked it up and stuck it in your jersey.

I know it would have uncomfortable, but it would have worth it on the massive off-chance that someone would have pulled up next to you and started the "I pay road tax" diatribe

You could then have said "Congratulations, here's your fecking prize" and dropped it in through the window. :lol:

The older I get, the better I was.

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    mattshrops wrote:
    bartman100 wrote:
    A Kestrel thread! BUMP!

I love:

Kes-5305_1.jpg

"I'll get thee Mcdowell" :lol:

Hands off cocks; on socks!
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    The most likely thing is a gust of wind will have blown the poor thing back into the road, a car or something has then run over it and the poor kestrel is doing many revs on someones wheel :(
  • mattshrops
    willhub wrote:
    The most likely thing is a gust of wind will have blown the poor thing back into the road, a car or something has then run over it and the poor kestrel is doing many revs on someones wheel :(

Willhub- #optimist :lol:
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Last year had a pigeon fly into my handlebars/stem in central Bristol. Sort of spazzed around on the floor (broken neck?) before a seagull swooped down and tried to eat it.

It was a little surreal to say the least.
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Does running over a squirrel's tail count or is this a birds only thread? :wink:
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Mike67 wrote:
    ... is this a birds only thread? :wink:
    You're getting mixed up with the 'Girls in ... " threads. :D
  • explosifpete
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Last year had a pigeon fly into my handlebars/stem in central Bristol. Sort of spazzed around on the floor (broken neck?) before a seagull swooped down and tried to eat it.

It was a little surreal to say the least.

I think that wins!