Helius Am or Helius AC

raytracer
raytracer Posts: 6
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi there,

I'm 184 95kg running HT ~10kg, Reba Rl 100mm and riding quite a rough terrain with a lot of climbing and descending. The mountains around are pritty steep and rocky and one of my weekly climbs has 1200m attitude in 10km. Recently I moved to more technical stuffs and my bike started to flex a lot, descends are not fun at all, it's all about surviving... Also I've god tired of worrying about those carbon parts. My buddies are telling me that I have to move to fs ~160mm, even 180 :shock:
To summarize I need fs bike in range of 150-180, good for technical descents and fun(as climbing can be) on the way up. So I come up with two different builds:

Nikolai Helius AM with 160 or 180 talas and CCDbair, bike weight ~14.7-15.2kg (depends on the fork) 22/32t/bash
pros: can run it on 120 or 140 on the way up and then have a freeride bike, although not sure if 180 is overkill
cons: not quite sure if I'll be able to climb everything around because of the head angle and weight (or maybe im just a weight weenie that have to try something heavier then 11kg)

Helius AC with Revelation 150 and Monarch Plus, weight ~11.9 with 1x10 28t.
pros: Simple and light bike
cons: 32 fork seems to have too much flex (at least my Reba does). Not as strong as the AM build

I know that it's best to test drive similar bikes, but that's not an option where I live :/
Any advices and critics are welcome!

Cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd certainly be erring on the lighter side of things with all that climbing. You can get a triple whammy climbing on longer travel stuff - the weight, more sus movement and the angles. Of course the more you spend the lighter things will be, and I certainly wouldn't worry about carbon if it is designed for the task in hand.

Would you look at any other types of bikes? If going the Nicolai route I would get the AC and ask them to fit a Lyrik or Fox 36 160 to stiffen up the front. This should give you what you want, the best of all worlds.
  • raytracer
    raytracer Posts: 6
    It seems that things are going toward AC (or some similar frame?) Servicing a Fox will be pain, there is no official dealer here and I should go with RS or something else. Revelation Dual Position is not looking promising from what I'm reading. Maybe 20mm Maxle will stiffen the front, but will I be able to climb on Revelation Dual Air (67.5 vs 68.5 at 120mm). Lyrik RC2 DH Dual Position with AngleSet Headset can give me same angles as 150/120, but again comments are not very positive for RS Dual Position...
    Also I'm not quite sure about the right shock.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think I'd still go for that mid range hit: Lyrik, 150mm frame. Ignore all the dual position stuff, just get it set up nicely for the way you ride. You can drop Lyriks lower than 160 with spacers if need be. My main reason was stiffness.