10 speed shifter on a 9 speed cassette

furiousd
furiousd Posts: 214
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
I am sure this has been asked many times before and i was of the opinion this did not work and before posting i did a search and it seems to agree with my initial thoughts.

However i can across this page which suggests that it will work. Part of the way down this page it has a table and talks about position B for the cable. Is this rubbish or is there truth in what is written?
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html

I want to put some Ultegra shifters on my but only have a 9 speed cassette, the 6510's dont come up very often whilst there are plenty of 10 speed ones available.

Thanks in advance and sorry i this is something the long standing members have seen asked many, many times.
Cheers
D

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    That is for the old Skool 10spd mechs. Why not also buy a 10spd cassette?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • furiousd
    furiousd Posts: 214
    Ah ok, thanks.
    Would need to buy chain, and rear mech too. Was going to upgrade each bit as i went along instead of all at once.
    D
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Chain yes rear mech nope they use the same cable pull IIRC.

But check with others as I am not to sure on the road stuff.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    10sp shifters won't work with a 9sp cassette - each click will tell the rear mech to move sideways the distance needed for each cog in a 10sp cassette : the 10sp cogs are closer together than the 9sp, so it won't work.

So you need a 10sp cassette, and you'll then need a 10sp chain, as this is (externally) narrower than a 9sp chain, so needs to be narrower to fit in that narrower gap between the 10sp cogs.
    (besides, good idea to change your chain as well when you get a new cassette, as an old worn chain may skip on a new cassette)

Your front & rear derailleurs, chainset, brakes, etc are all fine : the rear mech doesn't 'know' whether you are running 10sp or 9sp - the shifter pulls/releases the correct amount of cable per click for the derailleur to move sideways the distance needed between the cogs on the cassette, hence shifters and cassettes must match, both either be 9sp or both be 10sp, but the derailleurs are fine.
  • Thanks because I've been trying to do exactly the same thing :D So to upgrade my sora in bits I need:

1. 10spd Shifters
    2. 10spd Casette
    3. 10spd Chain

All the rest of my 9 speed parts will work with it?
  • JoeAllez11 wrote:
    Thanks because I've been trying to do exactly the same thing :D So to upgrade my sora in bits I need:

1. 10spd Shifters
    2. 10spd Casette
    3. 10spd Chain

All the rest of my 9 speed parts will work with it?

thast about it.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • FuriousD wrote:
    I am sure this has been asked many times before and i was of the opinion this did not work and before posting i did a search and it seems to agree with my initial thoughts.

However i can across this page which suggests that it will work. Part of the way down this page it has a table and talks about position B for the cable. Is this rubbish or is there truth in what is written?
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html

I want to put some Ultegra shifters on my but only have a 9 speed cassette, the 6510's dont come up very often whilst there are plenty of 10 speed ones available.

Thanks in advance and sorry i this is something the long standing members have seen asked many, many times.
    Cheers
    D

YOu could use a shiftmate

http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.php

you'd need model 2.

but for just a couple of quid more you could get a decent 10 speed cassette.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You shouldn't need to change the rear mech, only shifter, cassette and you'd probably get away with the chain if it's still in good condition.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..