Which size trek fuel ex?

Paul Stumpy FSR
Paul Stumpy FSR Posts: 59
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi. Looking at replacing my 2008 Stumpjumper FSR comp in large for a trek fuel ex. Not sure which but need help with sizing. I'm 5ft10 and no idea on inside leg :). Apparently I have long legs.
My stumpy is a large with a 60mm race face stem on it (as apposed to the 105mm) I also have a boardman team r mtb hybrid in a 19. I always find on any bike after a while I get a painful neck. Not sure if it's just me or I'm on the wrong bikes!
Now I know trek have funny virtual and actual sizes but I tried a virtual 19.5 today and it seemed ok. Saddle was up a bit so legs were fine. Saddle was moved forward a bit. Unfortunately I didn't get to try the virtual 18.5.
I gather it's all personal preference but what do you guys think is best?
Thanks
Paul

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    your height is irrelevant, inseam and reach are more important to frame sizing, i think you need to try the different sizes, as only you can really answer the question you asked
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Wobblehead
    Wobblehead Posts: 264
    I'm just shy of 6' and got a 18.5 virtual.

Feels a bit cramped sometimes on steep climbs, however, am happy because I find the smaller bike is more chuckable on the smiley bits
  • Hi guys. Thanks for the info. Think I need to try an 18.5 to be sure.
    Cheers
  • I had the same issue when I was deciding on which Remedy size I wanted, luckily I got to sit on quite a few sizes at my lbs before settling on the 17.5" virtual, because I'm scaled like a Hobbit.
  • Sorry to drag my old thread up again but I tried the 18.5 out just now and the reach on that was still too big. Saddle wasn't up that high either. Wasn't at the markers in the post even.
    Ordered in a 17.5 virtual to try now. Hopefully that'll be better
    Seems strange tho. I'm meant to be long in the leg too. Hhhmmmm.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm meant to be long in the leg too. Hhhmmmm.
    She was just being nice.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • StumpyPaul
    StumpyPaul Posts: 56
    Selling my Fuel ex 9.8 17.5 if you want to try. I am 5 ft 9. Pm if interested.
    Trek Fuel Ex 9.8 2010
    Yeti SB66
  • Hi. Thanks for the offer. I'm miles away from you on the south coast.
    Good luck with the sale.
  • hi,
    i tried out the 17.5 inch frame today. the reach felt really good, but the saddle was really high. about 4cm from the min insertion. feet couldnt touch the ground, but i gather that can be the norm. especially if i have long legs.
    The thing is i still dont know really which size to go for. the fact the saddle was up so high puts me off a little, especially as its alot of money. but i want to be comfy on the bike. I think i need to get another, proper try on the 18.5, rather than just a sit.
    need to be 100% sure
    thanks