Gisburn incident today - Sat

DodgeT
DodgeT Posts: 2,255
edited May 2012 in Routes
Was up there today and on the way back about 1ish, there was an ambulance, then a police car, then a mountain rescue team all on the track from dog n partidge to hope line. Anybody know what went on, assuming someone was injured, hope there not too bad.... ?

Comments

• steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    My mates have gone Gisburn today and one is accident prone! I better ring the ginger plum now I spose
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    It was mentioned over on STW, though they said the ride went down on Hully Gully with pelvic injuries and was air-lifted out. Bad day all round as another rider went down quite badly at Grizedale as well, and also needed to be air-lifted out http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-18217993.

Hope they are both ok and recover to ride again.
  • DodgeT
    Bugger, hully gully seems to get a few people.. Its a long way down from the top of them berms and its easy to get wrong if you don't carry enough speed.
    Hope both are well soon although the grizedale one sounds nasty.
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    Luckily my mates went Grizedale instead, and it wasnt him that got airlifted out of there either.

Hope them two get a speedy recovery
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    DodgeT wrote:
    Was up there today and on the way back about 1ish, there was an ambulance, then a police car, then a mountain rescue team all on the track from dog n partidge to hope line. Anybody know what went on, assuming someone was injured, hope there not too bad.... ?

Been quite a few accidents on the Hope line hence it getting looked at Sunday, The 3 table tops are to be changed, 2nd and 3rd having their take offs looked at as they are too steep, bottom section were the 3 jumps are may get revamped into 2 bigger tabletops and the berms made a lot higher to actually hold you round the corner.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • DodgeT
    I wouldn't mind the table tops being modded, as they are definately too steep for me .... But the bottom half is just about bang on now, be a real shame to alter that.

Had a look on the rescue site, 3 times in 3 weeks the air ambulance has been to gisburn. Hully gully involved twice.
  • 1mancity2
    DodgeT wrote:
    I wouldn't mind the table tops being modded, as they are definitely too steep for me .... But the bottom half is just about bang on now, be a real shame to alter that.

Had a look on the rescue site, 3 times in 3 weeks the air ambulance has been to gisburn. Hully gully involved twice.

I think the bottom half needs work the jumps are too close together if your going for it, especially the 3rd into the berm, they are too close together.

Also the DH section is now Rated Orange with some bigger features added, the drop off is now 5ft from 3ft and the drop in from the hill is now 5ft from 3ft as well.
  • MTBmaniac
    MTBmaniac Posts: 29
    The jumps on the Hope Line have grown on me. When they first built it there were quite a few jumps I didn't enjoy riding mainly becuase I wasn't use to the style of jumps they'd built, but since then I've learnt how to tackle most of the jumps and enjoy riding the vast majority of it including the far right step after the Table Tops.

The only bit (in my opinion) that needs altering is the little jump in the avenue of trees just after the bit where the track splits in two and rejoins. To me the jump just seems either too steep for the size or too small for the degree of steepness. I usually just roll this one.
  • mintedox
    mintedox Posts: 273
    Im useless with most tabletops but the last two on the hope line seem very steep. I can see how people get carried away and end up hurting themselves.
    The jump between the trees is a good one though. Love it
    Papa? Nicole
  • 1mancity2
    MTBmaniac wrote:
    The jumps on the Hope Line have grown on me. When they first built it there were quite a few jumps I didn't enjoy riding mainly becuase I wasn't use to the style of jumps they'd built, but since then I've learnt how to tackle most of the jumps and enjoy riding the vast majority of it including the far right step after the Table Tops.

The only bit (in my opinion) that needs altering is the little jump in the avenue of trees just after the bit where the track splits in two and rejoins. To me the jump just seems either too steep for the size or too small for the degree of steepness. I usually just roll this one.

The best thing to do with that jump if your not clearing it is, just lift your front wheel onto the top of the first bit, like a 1/2 manual and you can carry loads of speed down to the berm.
  • 1mancity2
    mintedox wrote:
    Im useless with most tabletops but the last two on the hope line seem very steep. I can see how people get carried away and end up hurting themselves.
    The jump between the trees is a good one though. Love it

Yep they are built almost like mini dirt jumps, they throw you up and like you say if your not used to that your in for a hairy time.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    There's been quite a lot of discussion over the design of some of the features. Whilst not inherently dangerous sections that have a lot of accidents on them may need to be looked at. Unfortunately siganage etc. seems to have naff all effect. Even difficult qualifier sections get ridden around defeating the whole point of them.
    Been quite a few accidents on the Hope line hence it getting looked at Sunday, The 3 table tops are to be changed, 2nd and 3rd having their take offs looked at as they are too steep, bottom section were the 3 jumps are may get revamped into 2 bigger tabletops and the berms made a lot higher to actually hold you round the corner.
    Where did you pick up on this info? Was there someone up there on Sunday surveying the Hope Line?
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • 1mancity2
    stumpyjon wrote:
    There's been quite a lot of discussion over the design of some of the features. Whilst not inherently dangerous sections that have a lot of accidents on them may need to be looked at. Unfortunately siganage etc. seems to have naff all effect. Even difficult qualifier sections get ridden around defeating the whole point of them.
    Where did you pick up on this info? Was there someone up there on Sunday surveying the Hope Line?

Yep, 3 guys were looking at it, spoke to one of them and he said they had been called in to look at and change certain things.

He mentioned the 2nd and 3rd tabletop and the jumps at the bottom and maybe making the berms higher, he said they had a couple of days work and would probably be sorting it in a couple of weeks?
  • DodgeT
    Good last point by the FC guy.

Comments make some intersting reading....
  • stumpyjon
    Ah, probably Martin Colledge and two of Rowen Sorrels lads.

• Can't believe someone took the oppurtunity to have a rant about shopmobility scooters in the comments section. All those people ranting about mtb riders needing insurance and damaging the environment need to step back and remember some poor dude is stuck in hospital and no doubt there's a lot of people worried about him. There's a time and place for that discussion.
  • 1mancity2
    Can't believe someone took the oppurtunity to have a rant about shopmobility scooters in the comments section. All those people ranting about mtb riders needing insurance and damaging the environment need to step back and remember some poor dude is stuck in hospital and no doubt there's a lot of people worried about him. There's a time and place for that discussion.

How many people fall over every day, get hurt playing football, rugby etc

We pay our way like everyone else so what is the big deal about mtbers draining resources, no ones shouting about all the old dears that need carting to hospital daily.

Your right, not about the cost, we as mtbers spend a far bit of cash over the course of a year, be it cafes, pubs, trail center shop, etc.
  • stumpyjon
    1mancity2 wrote:
    How many people fall over every day, get hurt playing football, rugby etc .

Worse still, get pissed up on a Saturday night and hurt themselves and others! Storm in a tea cup really.