Centrelock Rotors Resin Pads Only?

Darkstalker420
Darkstalker420 Posts: 212
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Having just ordered some wheels from Merlin (£64.00 for the pair :shock:!). I will now be using centrelock rotors and on the shimano descriptions it stated "resin pads only" i will be using Avid BB5's with sintered pads will "bad things" happen or will it be ok (rather not change the pads really as the whole set are new!).

Also i have seen a few bad reviews regarding centrelock rotors (developing play on the spline and some became loose where the disk is joined to the "spider"). Is this just one of those things or are they more prone to wear/fail than 6 bolt ones. Also am i right thinking it is a cassette tool that you fit them with?

Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Don't worry about it use what you want.

We fitted sintered to stop them squealing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cheers Nick.... (damn that was fast :lol: ).

Thanks.
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    Some one told me they are a softer metal than normal discs ergo need the resin pads, Think it was SS to be fair,so its ok to use sintered then?
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I've never said that lol. They are fine with sintered.
  • steelie600
    supersonic wrote:
    I've never said that lol. They are fine with sintered.

Some one did! LOL Apologies for false accusation! Feel free to give me a whipping.
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    To get to the second part of your question - they are fine if done up tight enough, you do use a cassette tool on Shimano hubs (mine annoyingly use an HT11 BB tool) and the spider/rotor fitting is the same on centrlock and 6 bolt so no problems.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    @steelie someone did post here recently that they are a different quality steel and wear out quicker or something but I've been using sintered for years and have been through loads of pads but never worn out a rotor and they've all been Shimano with little warning stickers.
    Although I'm now trying out SS Kevlar as they are red and I need all the help I can get - everyone knows red stuff goes faster.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    cooldad wrote:
    @steelie someone did post here recently that they are a different quality steel and wear out quicker or something but I've been using sintered for years and have been through loads of pads but never worn out a rotor and they've all been Shimano with little warning stickers.
    Although I'm now trying out SS Kevlar as they are red and I need all the help I can get - everyone knows red stuff goes faster.
    But brakes are for making the rotors go slower!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • steelie600
    cooldad wrote:

Cool I thought Id dreamt it then for a minute! LOL
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • cooldad
    nicklouse wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    That could be why it hasn't worked.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    cooldad wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    That could be why it hasn't worked.
    Err yeeerrrs