Avid elixir 4 brake pad removal

Russell160
Russell160 Posts: 67
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Can anyone explain or link to how to do this?

Also, while I'm about it, recommendations for a brake disc cleaner?

I have tried the usual suspects: google, you tube, sram tech and drawn a blank. Lots of stuff on all the other models but not the 4.

Thanks.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    No need to clean unless it's contaminated. Push pistons home with old pads in, unscrew the pin, fit pads put in pin. Bit of dragging and hard safe stops. Done
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    If i remember correctly the 4 is an elixir lever with juicy caliper, so they just pull out like juicy pads (because thats what they are). I used to have elixir 4s, bit of a rip off really as they aren't truly elixirs.
  • Russell160
    Russell160 Posts: 67
    Yup, thanks Bennett that's it.
    Picked up similar account after searching further : Avid Elixir 4 are a hybrid fitted as OE to some Specialized and consist of a Juicy 3 caliper and Elixir 5 lever. That's why there's nothing on them on the SRAM website.
    This also explains why instructions for Elixir don't work: there is no pin to unscrew.
    So, I have just followed Juicy 3 instructions and will buy same calipers.
    Thought I'd just confirm this conclusion in case any one else is searching for same thing.
    Could easily have ordered Elixir pads and ended up with wrong part. As you say, a bit of a rip off or at the very least confusing.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    If the pads feel very difficult to change, it's because they are. Don't worry, you aren't breaking anything they just need a fckton of force!