Creak with lateral pressure on forks

bengboy
bengboy Posts: 12
edited June 2012 in Workshop
Hi,

I've a Planet X SL Pro Carbon, and have noticed it creaking quite a bit when I get out of the saddle. I think I've pinned it down to the forks. I took the wheel off and when I press the tips of the forks towards or away from eachother, the same creak occurs. There are no obvious cracks I can see.

Is this fairly normal, or should I be worried there is a tiny crack somewhere and they need replacing?

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks!

Ben

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Is there any play in the headset? Have you tried taking the bearings out and applying a spot of grease between the bearings and the frame?
    More problems but still living....
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Agree on headset adjustment / clean and regrease bearings first before suspecting anything else.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • bengboy
    Thanks for the replies.

I have already taken the headset apart, cleaned and greased everything, yet it still happens.

I can recreate the creak with the bike in a workstand, wheels off, and pushing the tips of the forks towards or away from eachother, without applying any force at all through the headset. That's what makes me think there may be a problem with the forks themselves, or perhaps it's just they're not the best quality (it is one of the cheapest full carbon bikes around...)

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ben
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Can you pop the fork out of the frame and check it off the bike?

Doesn't sound good though.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    Dollars to donuts its the headset. Planetx ones are pretty cheap. My planet x one squeeks like crazy even after stripping, cleaning & lubing. Theres a reason planetx has sold out of replacements!
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • bengboy
    Well, you were bleedin' right! I failed to take off the last washer on the top of the fork (?crown race?), and now I did, cleaned it, greased it, and ... SILENCE!!! Result.
  • buder
    buder Posts: 154
    I get this on my SL Pro, drives me nuts.

I have to keep on greasing it and re-tightening the headset before its starts clicking again.