Chainset compatability advice for novice builder!

captain_vimes
captain_vimes Posts: 262
edited May 2012 in Workshop
Having decided to get back into biking early this year I bought an old 1980's road bike that I enjoyed restoring so much I am now building myself a more modern bike from parts. This way I hope to be able to do all my own servicing in future, even when I buy a £2000 bike in a couple of years! :D

I have a couple of questions for the collective bikeradar knowledge pool!

I have managed to get a new full Shimano 2300 groupset and just need the chainset and bottom bracket. Am I right in thinking that Sora, Tiagra and 105 are all compatible with the 2300 groupset? This gives me much more options for getting a decent 2nd hand chainset.

The 2300 chainset is I believe the double version (as the triple is the 2303) but the left shifter has three positions. Is this correct or have I got a 2303 shifter?

That's it for now, but I am sure more will follow!

Thanks in advance. I will be starting a build thread shortly.

Vimes

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I do not know specifically for the 2300 but it is common for Shimano LH shifters to be universally able to do both double and triple front mech set ups.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • captain_vimes
    Thanks Smidsy, that's reassuring as I am sure the rest is a double set up.

I have seen a very good price on a Tiagra compact double and bottom bracket (Ribble, £52) so if someone can confirm that will go with the rest of my group set I will have all parts to begin the build!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    if you go to...

http://techdocs.shimano.com

...and look under road->2200 (yes 2200, not 2300) you'll find the 2300 components, the si-* files give you the specification and installation/adjustment instructions

the 2300 shifter thumb lever has a trim setting, giving two clicks for full travel

even if it is a triple shifter, you can still use it with a double chainset

2300 is 8-speed, early sora was 8-speed, then 9-speed, tiagra/105 were originally 9-speed, then 10-speed

some 9/10-speed parts can be used with 8-speed, but not all

a 9/10-speed chainset can be used with 8-speed other stuff, but you may need to run the matching chain to avoid chain rub (8-speed rear mech/cassette will be fine with 9/10-speed chains)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • captain_vimes
    Many thanks for that. I'll have a look at the link.

If the only possible issue is the need to run a 9/10 speed chain I'll probably go for the Tiagra chainset and BB.

Cheers