Helmets - what does extra £££ buy you?

thescouselander
thescouselander Posts: 549
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
So I was wondering, what is the difference between cheaper and more expensive helmets? My old helmet was mid range years ago when I bought it and I recently replaced it with an el cheapo one from Costco. To be honest the news one seems better and is quite up to the job.

What might I have got if I had splashed the cash a bit more? As far as I can see they all seem to have similar construction with the main difference being styling.

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    As with most items cycling related it generally means they are lighter the more expensive they get.

More expensive helmets also tend to have better features like the strapping systems, ventilation and head sizing systems.

Helmets are all about fit for me so trying on and comparing how they sit and adjust etc. is important.

Some feel like a mushroom and others you forget are there.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I went from a £40 Giro helmet to a £200 (paid £160 discounted) Giro Aeon.

Its much lighter but more importantly, the venting is soooooo much better. I used to cook on a warm day under the old lid but the new one is brilliant for air flow over the head. The fittings are also that much better - so helps with comfort.

No regrets from me anyway
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    lighter weight, increased air flow, more aero.

If these things are important to you, then spend more.

I bought a Giro Atmos 'cos they said it would keep my head cooler, and here you need that. It works well, great flow of air through the helmet.

Crap straps, poor finish, and pads that are so pathetically thin and badly made they don't last very long.

So I guess I paid for the bit that was most important to me, not sure how much you have to spend to get great design and great quality.

just read the last post and it answered my question before I posted, forums are great! :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    I bought a Spesh Echelon helmet for about £50. Has great front venting and fits well. Hottest day of the year so far here and hardly any sweat on my brow by the end of 2 hour ride. That's good enough for me!
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    Been on here for a while but first post - hello :)

As someone who has spent more and more ££ on helmets over the years I would say that the amount you spend is directly proportionate to the reduction in "mushroom head" :D
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    simona75 wrote:

As someone who has spent more and more ££ on helmets over the years I would say that the amount you spend is directly proportionate to the reduction in "mushroom head" :D

Hello, welcome :D

You are right, the more you spend the better you ride, the more smug you get, the bigger your head gets, the smaller the helmet looks!
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • simona75 wrote:

:lol: Thats quite funny. I was only thinking today that my head resembled a mushroom with my helmet on - I clearly haven't spend enough.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    More expensive doesn't always mean better. I've had Giro and Casco helmets in the past both costing more than my current Kask one. Yet the Kask is lighter, more comfortable, has a better securing system and looks a lot a better.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    philthy3 wrote:
    More expensive doesn't always mean better. I've had Giro and Casco helmets in the past both costing more than my current Kask one. Yet the Kask is lighter, more comfortable, has a better securing system and looks a lot a better.

And oddly enough, my old Giro Havoc (about £20) is actually lighter than Giros last top of the range Ionos.

And the Kask Mojito I now have for best can be bought for half the price of a Giro Aeon and weights even less. It's actually surprising how little relationship in lids there is between price, weight, looks, comfort etc.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I bought a new Kask at the weekend. I was very happy with it. Until I saw Kerry Katona in the same helmet in the Daily Mail this morning.

(i know, i know, i was only browsing)
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    kudos
  • billysmeg
    billysmeg Posts: 25
    cougie wrote:
    I bought a new Kask at the weekend. I was very happy with it. Until I saw Kerry Katona in the same helmet in the Daily Mail this morning.

(i know, i know, i was only browsing)
    OH NO! WHICH KASK??? :shock: