Skate helmet vs Road helmet

kaptainscoot
kaptainscoot Posts: 30
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Well i have a few razor skate helmets at my house and they fit me prefect ( there my sons helmets).What i need to know should i go buy a road helmet or just use his and make it mine for the road cause it fits really well,do i need to drop the cash on this?

Comments

• mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Using a skate helmet on a road bike........ :|

You'll be missing out on the venting from a specific road/mtb lid, plus the weight will be a factor.
  • Ok so should i go get a 30$ bike helmet(money is tight 3 kids).Or should i stick it out with the other helmet and save for a nice helmet?
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    If the money is tight,why don't you just use the skate helmet and see how it goes. You may find you don't need a new one.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    You could just not bother wearing a helmet at all and enjoy the wind in your hair. :)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Didnt Dr Hutch attempt the hour in a skate helmet ?
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Provided you don't mind a few blinkered roadies tutting or telling you that it doesn't match your socks (which may also be too long/short and the wrong colour) then wear what you like.

If you can try someone's road/MTB vented helmet sometime you can get an idea of the difference before buying. Most important is how it feels as the head shapes seem to vary between brands.

But CiB has a point, IMHO there's nothing wrong with feeling the wind in your hair, it's an individual choice (and it should stay that way).
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Simon E wrote:
    But CiB has a point, IMHO there's nothing wrong with feeling the wind in your hair, it's an individual choice (and it should stay that way).
    +2 to this!!
    Skate helmets generally provide better protection than cycling helmets but are hotter in warm conditions. If other cyclists don't approve than I guess their day will be ruined, not yours.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    cougie wrote:
    Didnt Dr Hutch attempt the hour in a skate helmet ?

Yes, but he failed. A lesson to us all :)
  • Hector10
    Hector10 Posts: 18
    Simon E wrote:
    +2 to this!!
    Skate helmets generally provide better protection than cycling helmets but are hotter in warm conditions. If other cyclists don't approve than I guess their day will be ruined, not yours.

I would have thought that the 2 types of helmets are tested to completely different standards. In the same way that Motorbike Helmets are tested tomdifferent standards than cycling helmets. You don't get 30mph+ crashes on a Skateboard or Scooter.
    Irresponsible to cycle in anything other than a cycle helmet in my opinion.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Hector10 wrote:
    Simon E wrote:
    +2 to this!!

I would have thought that the 2 types of helmets are tested to completely different standards. In the same way that Motorbike Helmets are tested tomdifferent standards than cycling helmets. You don't get 30mph+ crashes on a Skateboard or Scooter.

Ooh, excellent. This thread was showing signs of not being popcorn-worthy at all.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    DesWeller wrote:
    Ooh, excellent. This thread was showing signs of not being popcorn-worthy at all.

Salted popcorn for me please Des
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Irresponsible to cycle at all. Dangerous activity.
    I shall stay on my sofa eating popcorn.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    DesWeller wrote:

Salted popcorn for me please Des

I think that's DD's line.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Hector10 wrote:
    Actually you'd be surprised, decent inline skaters can overtake slow cyclists on the flat, and downhill you can get up to some fair speeds if you are a bit of a nutter... And cycle helmets are only designed to deal with low speed impacts in any case, as usually the head isn't the first thing to hit the ground. Main practical difference (apart from crap venting on skate-specific helmets, which is mainly a fashion thing) is that skate helmets offer a bit more protection at the back of the head, as this is a common impact site for skaters who fall over backwards... That said, I use my cycle helmet for skating!
  • Dont really care what other people think of me right now as im a newb to the whole cycle game.The only people i care what think and wanna see after my ride are my 3 kids and my wife so i think when im riding in the bike lanes in the street im gonna wear the skate helmet for the next two weeks till pay day just to be safe.
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    If you find it comfy,I'd wear it til payday and beyond,and don't worry about anything anyone says on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,182
    Hector10 wrote:
    Simon E wrote:
    +2 to this!!

You would have thought wrong - they are tested to the same British / European standard. Neither are tested for impacts at 30mph or more so presumably cycling in a cycle helmet is also irresponsible (or at least cycling above the tested speed of the helmet is)? You are arguably more likely to fall doing some freestyle skating / skateboarding than in any cycle sport with the possible exception of BMX. To me the key determining factor that would put me off using a skate helmet is that they aren't as well ventilated so will probably become uncomfortable for long rides in warm weather.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Hector10 wrote:
    I would have thought that the 2 types of helmets are tested to completely different standards. In the same way that Motorbike Helmets are tested to different standards than cycling helmets. You don't get 30mph+ crashes on a Skateboard or Scooter.
    Cycle helmets are designed to deal with a 5Kg mass being dropped from a height of 2m - a head hitting the floor from a standing position in effect. Quite how that equates to me going over someone's bonnet at 30mph is beyond me.

OP - wear one, if you want to wear one. Don't worry one jot about another cyclist chasing you down the road to harangue you for having the wrong hat on though. It probably won't happen.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Skate helmets also often have a proper hard shell, so if anything they should offer more protection - they should be able to deal a bit better with sharp impacts, e.g. hitting the edge of a kerb.

So as others have said, wear it as long as it is comfortable. Just make sure the straps are done up properly and it is secure, i.e. when you hold it and move it from side to side you should feel it tugging at your scalp, not sliding around on it. If you find out that it's too hot & heavy, that would be a good reason to consider getting a proper cycle helmet, but in terms of protection the skate helmet should be just as good as long as it fits and is worn properly.
  • Thx for all the advice guys.