garmin edge 500

jonod777
jonod777 Posts: 143
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
so im looking to buy a garmin edge 500 and would like to know what people think off them and are they better than the garmin edge 200 thanks

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Yes. The Edge 200 doesn't work with HRM, speed/cadence or power meters, yet it almost costs as much.
    More problems but still living....
  • jonod777
    Thanks m8
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    i was looking at this this week before ordering the 200 from crc for just 99pound - yes thats just 99 pound :D

From what i 'researched' the differences are obviously price and

1. the 500 can be bought as a basic model and upgraded as and when
    2. the 500 can be bougt as bundle offering the addition of hrm and/or cadence sensor
    3. the 500 is ant+ compatible
    3. the 500 has all that the features 200 offers (speed, distance, time, av speed etc )but with the addition of elevation data.

The 500 has a slightly longer battery life too.

Fighting back - the 200 apparently has a faster time in picking up satellites.

From my point of view i didnt need cadence, power or heart monitor and went for the 200 -saved 60 quid as well.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • jonod777
    So the 200 is not a HR
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    i was looking at this this week before ordering the 200 from crc for just 99pound - yes thats just 99 pound :D

That's £1 less than I paid for my Edge 500. Bargain :wink:
    More problems but still living....
  • Cleat Eastwood
    amaferanga wrote:

That's £1 less than I paid for my Edge 500. Bargain :wink:

drat and double drat.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    jonod777 wrote:
    So the 200 is not a HR

No the only data you get basic ie distance, time, av speed, max speed, lap times etc.

If you want more stats to help you train or monitor improvements, for racing say (as amefaranga does) - then the 500 is the one to go for.

heres one with the hrm/cadence bundle

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=44124

and heres the 500 on its own

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/23 ... n-edge-500

quite a price difference.
  • jonod777
    i can get distance, time, av speed, max speed, lap times etc from a cheat ASDA BIKE computer
  • Cleat Eastwood
    jonod777 wrote:
    i can get distance, time, av speed, max speed, lap times etc from a cheat ASDA BIKE computer

Ah but is it gps enabled. What you can do with the garmins is download .gpx/.tcx files and follow routes - you can also load courses and ride against a virtual partner.

And of course you can enter the devilish world of strava bagging.

I know what you mean about the asda thing though, one of the best comps i had was from aldi - elevation data, gradient data, hrm - but the garmin lets me pre load it with routes for sportives etc - oh and the ability to share rides etc.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    I love my Garmin 500 (with cadence and HR), but it's a type of love/hate type relationship. I really can't be arsed to program the damn thing so I'm left with the setting on my CX bike's weight and tyres, a lap distance of 3.11 miles and the damn thing auto shutdown (which I corrected of course!).

Anyone know a shortcut to go from saved bike (Kona Jake) to bike (Caad9), instead of going through a huge menu selection?
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Penfold06
    Penfold06 Posts: 161
    instead of going through a huge menu selection?

It's half a dozen button presses... Max.

Is that really so hard?
  • dindi_boy
    dindi_boy Posts: 24
    I love my Garmin 500. The Garmin Connect website is great for plotting routes and getting an idea of the routes in your area that other people are using. Also, I mostly train by myself so I like the virtual partner for a bit of extra motivation.

Go for it!
  • jonod777
    iv seen this on ebay plz have a look and let me know on what you all think http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Garmin-Ed ... 1c27737866
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Not sure i would buy one from Taiwan - would you still have warranty on the unit?

I got mine from these people http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/ decent price, and must say really excellent customer service. I know Handtec is cheaper but I wanted the premium heart rate strap and the silver/black unit.
  • Anyone lost connection with their heart monitor since updating the software ?
    All the gear, but no idea...

No but i can't upload anything! Knew i was being too hasty in upgrading. :twisted:

Will

I've done everything according to the book and support pages, but still no luck ....

AAAARRRGGGHHH...........
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • alex1rob
    alex1rob Posts: 95
    jonod777 wrote:
    iv seen this on ebay plz have a look and let me know on what you all think http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Garmin-Ed ... 1c27737866

I bought from this seller. Perfect in every respect. Such a bargain. The only disapointing thing is that comparatively the unit with cadence and HR strap is much more expensive.
  • jonod777
    How much did the postich cost m8
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    amaferanga wrote:
    Yes. The Edge 200 doesn't work with HRM, speed/cadence or power meters, yet it almost costs as much.
    A heads up on where I can get a 500 for not much more than a 200 would be much appreciated!

Cheapest i've seen a 200 for is £90 and the cheapest 500 (with all the bits that make a 500 worth having) £185. That's more than double!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Had mine a couple of weeks as a birthday present and loving it. Quite a cool bit of kit. Didn't really need the mapping facilities of an 800 but I see that it does navigation at a fairly basic level. Have a 405 as a running watch so the learning curve is not that steep. Have now become a strava geek!
  • jonod777
    My m8 has just got a garmin so he can use strava I think it's a bit sad this strava thing
  • Im lovin the 500 it helps me with my training and HR I've used it several times for route planning and although a little primitive got me where I wanted to go :) I'm also a newby to strava but it's interesting to see how others cope with the same parts of my ride and gives you a kick up the butt to try a little harder to improve I think :)
    Trek Madone 5.9 2012
    Cboardman Team 2011
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    Anyone had any probs updating the 500 to the the version3 software???
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    rob21 wrote:

I uploaded the new version 3 software OK, but it took about 4 goes at switching the unit on and off before it "woke up" properly.

On the Garmin Edge 500 forum, quite a few folk are having problems loading new activities onto their PC's, but there are also a few fixes offered by the forum posters. I have just walked around the garden with my 500 and have been able to download that activity. A ride in the next day or two will be interesting to see how it goes.
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    DaveM399 wrote:
    rob21 wrote:

I uploaded the new version 3 software OK, but it took about 4 goes at switching the unit on and off before it "woke up" properly.

On the Garmin Edge 500 forum, quite a few folk are having problems loading new activities onto their PC's, but there are also a few fixes offered by the forum posters. I have just walked around the garden with my 500 and have been able to download that activity. A ride in the next day or two will be interesting to see how it goes.
    The only way i could get mine to work after the update was to delete the garmin fit file and 2 courses i had on the unit.i have since done 2 rides and they uploaded to garmin connect thankfully :D
  • plodski
    plodski Posts: 14
    DaveM399 wrote:
    I have just walked around the garden with my 500 and have been able to download that activity.

Did you get a new Strava segment PB?
  • jonod777
    so my 500 has just come this morning look out strava haha
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    rob21 wrote:
    Yes. Loads. Check the Garmin 500 forum. Mine worked fine after the update except the elevation graph went into 6 ft steps. Went back to 2.8 and all is well again.
    I would leave it well alone until it is sorted. 3.1 anybody.