Newbie - £500 to spend.......please help!

AtomicApple
AtomicApple Posts: 5
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all!

I am looking to buy a MTB for under £500. Now, I know you have heard this before (my apologies) and I know what your answer will be….the Rockrider, and yes I agree this is a great bike for the price, the reviews are excellent and it sounds really good (doesn't look great, but once its covered in dirt who cares?). However I have also noticed the Revolution Triad for £425, which also seems like a good deal. Is the Rockrider still the better bike?

The Rockrider £499
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2011-id_8168695.html
Or
The Revolution Triad, £425

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... tion-bikes

Also, is there any maintenance I would need to be aware of before buying any of the bikes? I have read a bit that air forks (like the revolution, I think the rockrider is coil?) need more maintenance, is this true?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am completely new to MTB, so really have no clue, however this forum has been really useful to read so I am hoping you can help me with this!

Cheers!!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Air tends to be a bit lighter and more adjustable. Both are simple reliable forks so no problems. The Revolution is very nice, but only in 16" so unless you are pretty small....
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Sorry!! I should have mentioned that I am female, about 5'4 so I think the 16" Revolution would be ok.

Thanks, I am edging towards the Revolution, mainly because it is cheaper so I would have some extra money for accessories! However, I thought I would check as I know the Rockrider has excellent spec and is always recommended as it is very good value.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What's wrong with a 16 RR
  • What's wrong with a 16 RR

The Rockrider is £75 more expensive, so if the bikes are pretty much the same then I might as well go with the cheaper one and have extra money for accessories. However, if the Rockrider is the better bike and worth the extra £75 then I will go for that.
  • cooldad
    Rockrider probably just shaves it. Better brakes and fork. Probably the one I would pick, but the Revolution is a decent bike for the price and will do the job.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Rockrider probably just shaves it. Better brakes and fork. Probably the one I would pick, but the Revolution is a decent bike for the price and will do the job.

Thanks! The Revolution is tempting because of the price but for an extra £75 I guess I would be better going for the Rockrider if the brakes and fork are better. Plus, I will be near a Decathlon store in a few weeks so will be able to try it (at least make sure the size fits) rather than ordering over the internet and hoping for the best. Thanks for your help! Much appreciated.
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    £500, the Voodoo Hoodoo really is the best buy. I know it's from Halfords but don't let that put you off what is an excellent bit of kit
  • cooldad
    That is an excellent option - a little bit more hardcore but decent bits. And only £450 at the moment.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools