What on earth have I done?!

tek290
tek290 Posts: 5
edited May 2012 in Workshop
What glorious weather for cycling this weekend !

Until this happened :(

Quick story, took my bike in to get serviced on Thursday. I've heard they're usually quick, turn it around in a day etc so I'd have it back for the weekend. It seems their mechanic was ill, so I picked it up this afternoon so I could still use it this weekend despite it not being serviced. Cycling home from work, which is barely a mile, this happened as I was calmly spinning my way up the hill.

2iu84zs.jpg

It seems the chain snapped, rear derailleur looks like it has cracked slightly and a couple other bits look in bad shape. Two things: roughly how much will this set me back? I'm thinking this is my fault? I havent had it serviced since buying it having done a few hundred miles :blush:

I'm now gutted as I was looking forward to really cracking on with my training this weekend :(

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    can't see clearly what's gone on at the rd mounting point

something snapped/came undone, or it was not adjusted right and fouled on the spokes (if all the spokes are unmarked, it's probably the former), or on the cassette

whatever, once that's happened everything just gets worse as the bits are dragged around by the chain

assuming the rear hanger is gone, plus a chain, a new rear mech, maybe a cable, 70-80 quid plus labour (don't recognise the models, so if they're higher range than i guessed it would be more)

more if the wheel is damaged
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Not servicing the bike after 200miles of use is not a major problem. The only thing most shops do in the 6 week service is twist the rear mech adjuster by half a twist and then check the brakes, etc. Was the bike brand new? The inside of the chainstay on the offside looks a bit scuffed so is the bike 'pre-owned'? Not that it means much now.

The rear mech looks to be a write off, IMO. I suspect that the hanger may have gone too. Still not too bad a cost, a 5700 rear mech is only about £40, hangers are £10-20 and labour should be minimal, maybe £20-30. The majority of labour cost will be in removing the dork disk from inside the wheel :)
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    First impressions, that look like some seriously bad gay sex gone wrong.

Okay, let's accept it was your fault - if the chin whips, what's the damage? Your rear hanger looks bent plus a new chain. Is the wheel damage? If not, good on you other wise that'd another expense. Sorted, as long as you know how to fix it.
  • tek290
    Hopefully not too bad a cost then, will take it in to the Spesh store tomorrow and leave it with them.

Cost doesn't annoy me, it's the fact I don't have a bike now for this weekend!! Hopefully they can have it fixed for the bank holiday.

Took the bike inside and untangled it all. Chain was snapped and a bit of the rear mech has cracked as has the rear hanger plus it springs completely in to the wrong position.

Oh well, no cycling for me this weekend!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    tek290 wrote:
    Oh well, no cycling for me this weekend!

The moral is - learn how to do the work yourself. It's a mornings work is that - including the trip to the bike shop to get the parts and an excessive number of cups of tea. :wink:

Plus also you should never only have one bike!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    It's very strange this was in the LBS and "then" snapped after only a 1 mile from picking it up (despite them never servicing it). The more I think about it, I reckon someone has touched your bike in the shop. It would be extremely hard to prove, however. If the mechanic was ill, a stand-in "might" have attempted a service...anything. If the bike has only done 200 miles it could be within a guarantee.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    The more I think about it, I reckon someone has touched your bike in the shop.

The filthy pervert. Whilst the physical injuries can be replaced with a cheque to the LBS, the mental scars will probably be with the bike forever.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    It's very strange this was in the LBS and "then" snapped after only a 1 mile from picking it up (despite them never servicing it). The more I think about it, I reckon someone has touched your bike in the shop. It would be extremely hard to prove, however. If the mechanic was ill, a stand-in "might" have attempted a service...anything. If the bike has only done 200 miles it could be within a guarantee.

Just what i was thinking. A huge coincidence the chain snaps and the rear mech gives up the ghost after been stood in the lbs. I bet someone has tinkered with it and forgot to finish the job or been sidetracked and left a few bits loose etc then you have come and collected it before they finished the job! But as the poster above said, would be almost impossible to prove.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    is the chain snapped in the pic

I had a chain snap over the winter and it simply ran its course through the rear mech.

I've also had something similar like your rear mech happen to me - it was caused by the jockey wheels rubbing wher they shouldnt - needed to change rear mech, hanger and chain - bizarrely enough it was a specialized too - an allez, the hangers are easily sourced.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • tek290
    I wish I knew how to fix these things myself but I'm not great mechanically when it comes to bikes!

Think I will just take it in to the Specialized store tomorrow and leave it with them, slightly concerned how expensive they might be compared to a LBS
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Based on not much, what's really happened here is that the chain has snapped, and where it snapped the outer plate(s) bent such as to make it too wide to fit through the rear mech. In the instant that it happened, you carried on pedalling, the "too wide" bit reached your rear mech, got caught in the cage and you bent the mech/hanger with the force of yer legs.

Don't feel bad, it happens. I'd look at where the chain snapped - if its where the quick link / connecting pin is (and it probably is), then you've probably got a reasonable case for dodgy installation and I'd solemnly consider "going mental" at the shop from which you bought it. If its elsewhere, then its just bad luck.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The chain doesn't look like it's snapped at all - seems to be in one piece?

But there might have been a twist in it, causing it to grab the mech and pull it round - did you notice any clicking from the mech before it packed up?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    tek290 wrote:
    I wish I knew how to fix these things myself but I'm not great mechanically when it comes to bikes!

Nobody is before they've started tinkering with them! Then, after a while, you start to realise that almost the only skill involved in bike mechanics is the ability to undo a bolt and then do it back up again!

Your problem is a good example.

1) Get replacement derailleur (ideally exactly the same model) - undo old one (one bolt - feel how tight it is before undoing it so you know how tight to go with the new one) - fit new mech. Attach cable where it was attached before - you should be able to see the clamp mark on it.
    2) Get replacement chain and quick link. Stretch old chain out on white 100% pure wool new living room carpet when wife isn't looking. Stretch new chain out along side it. Use Chain removal tool to shorten chain accordingly. Or ask LBS to do this while you wait and moan enough that they don't try to charge you for it.
    3) Read instructions with derailleur. You need to set the limit screws - this is done by eye.
    4) Fit chain.
    5) Ride bike. Hopefully, because the cable was clamped in the same place the indexing will work perfectly. But if it doesn't return to LBS and scream again until they index it while you wait. A two minute job for them.
    6) Get to ride bike on Sunday!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • wombar
    wombar Posts: 119
    Would have to agree with the majority of the other posters. It's definitely worth learning to do your own maintenance because a) it saves you money b) you're not giving your bike to an unknown mechanic c) you can fix these things yourself.

Not saying you should start with this particular job, but once you've got it all repaired, start small and work from there. Indexing gears is a super easy, and a great starting point. I literally knew nothing about bikes 3 years ago, and I just got stuck in. Not saying there weren't moments of frustration, but ultimately it's a great feeling knowing you fixed it yourself.

I'm now at the point where I've built a bike from the frame up, and there's little I wouldn't do myself these days.
  • tek290
    Thanks for the advice, taken it in this morning and should be getting it back on Wednesday so will have it for the 4 day weekend coming up.

With parts and labour think it's going to set me back about £120 but definitely going to be reading up and getting stuck in myself when I get it back so that in future this can be done myself!
  • migrantwing
    migrantwing Posts: 385
    Two points:

Firstly, I also agree that someone has 'tinkered' with your bike and they don't know what they're doing. You mentioned that the usual guy was off work sick. Huge coincidence.

Secondly, as has been mentioned, basic knowledge of bike maintenance is easy once you've done it a few times. Buy a book, watch YouTube videos, search the net, and there are always people on here to lend a hand, as you've seen.
    Ghost Race 5000 (2011) Shimano 105 Black
    Carrera TDF (2007)

http://www.bike-discount.de/#

http://www.bike24.com/
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    Is the rear hanger broken?

Mine broke once whilst riding and the result looked fairly similar to your picture?

Funnily enough, mine broke the day after picking it up from a service also.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    To me it looks like the rear D has actually broken off of the hanger or come unscrewed. :? Weird.