I want to go home

mikeabanks
mikeabanks Posts: 116
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Just checked the weather at home - a 12 knot tailwind along my nearest Strava segment.
:D

Comments

• RoadMeridaBen
    RoadMeridaBen Posts: 265
    And thats the flaw with strava... people just wait for a windy day when its in the right direction and off they go, normally setting times they will never get anywhere near on a normal day
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Which is only a problem if you take it seriously... Chill Ben, it's all good fun. :wink:

The only thing Stava is actually valuable for is motivating yourself to do better and giving you an idea of your relative fitness against yourself to that end (which it does pretty well). The competitive element is complete nonsense (friends aside), the other riders could have been on TT bikes, or motorbikes for all we know. Keeps you interested though in a way that actual training to maximise benefit doesn't.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Everyone has the option of picking a day with a tailwind if they want to get a fastest time. Its all just a bit of fun really - and a level playing field if everyone plays by the same rules of using the weather.

What does annoy me though is those that put the GPS in the car and leave the segment on Strava to get a KOM time. I've seen one where a 1.4mile climb at 7% average was done at 23mph / 950watts. The 2nd quickest was 10mph ave (and loads were close after that).
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    Huh - I'm 4th on one where the 1st guy is at 80kph and the second at 42.

I understand you can report obvious anomalies to Strava, but I've been a bit reluctant to do it.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Pigtail wrote:

I understand you can report obvious anomalies to Strava, but I've been a bit reluctant to do it.

y :?:
  • sancho1983
    sancho1983 Posts: 76
    The 5 or 6 segments I am on near me all have their top place taken by a pro, he's consistently 3 mph faster than anyone else (and about 10mph faster than me :))
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Pigtail wrote:

y :?:

Not really sure to be honest..... but

Most of the other guys who log rides seem to come from a local club. There may be some kind of joke going on where they would not appreciate my interference!
  • Smalls
    Smalls Posts: 7
    There was a guy that posted the other week to say that he had a problem with his bike while out on a ride so had to call his wife to rescue him. It wasn't until he got home that he realised he hadn't ended his ride on strava, surface to say he was KOM on all segments. This could be the case with these..
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    sancho1983 wrote:
    The 5 or 6 segments I am on near me all have their top place taken by a pro, he's consistently 3 mph faster than anyone else (and about 10mph faster than me :))
    Make your own then...

Make one on a side street, or where he doesn't ride.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Pigtail wrote:

I have done it twice. Same segment -same guy obviously has left it on. His avg speed was 47 mph up a hill - everyone else avg speed is about 12mph. I would do it if I was you.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • xpc316e
    xpc316e Posts: 43
    I recorded my ride today on Strava and was astonished to find that my top speed was in excess of 72 mph! For the life of me I could not remember doing much more than 26 mph on the tandem with the wife on the back. This anomaly was not due to leaving it on after putting the bike in the car.
    Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, a Decathlon Fitness 3 flat-barred road bike, a Claud Butler Cape Wrath MTB, a TW 'Bents recumbent trike, a Moulton-based tandem, and a Scott CR1 Comp road bike.
  • sancho1983
    sancho1983 Posts: 76
    TheFD wrote:
    sancho1983 wrote:
    Make your own then...

Make one on a side street, or where he doesn't ride.

I don't care, I'm trying to 'beat' myself more than anything.
  • mikeabanks
    mikeabanks Posts: 116
    I went for the early train home - it was cancelled :cry:

By the time I did get home the wind had changed but still enjoyed my ride :-)

There is no way I will get the KOM on it anyway as the top guy is a guy in his early 20's who races. :lol:

I just like to beat my own times although I am 5th fastest on it.

http://app.strava.com/rides/9325782#168550068