Hard tail to Full Sus frame swap suggestions.. Meta?

dmorton
dmorton Posts: 244
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I'm considering swapping the frame on my 2010 Orange Crush for a full suspension frame for the summer (which has finally started it seems :D )

Options I had a glance at:

- Orange Five
- Commencal Meta
- Giant Reign

The Meta looks good value, however my forks are 140mm seems like the Meta is more 150mm 160mm on the rear?

140 all round I think would be preferable, is a front back miss match a problem? Would you want more on the rear? My full sus knowledge is limited

I'm looking at buying new or secondhand, depends on what's on offer

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They are solid frames - but not all your parts will fit. Will have to check headset, seat post, seat clamp, front mech, cables, hoses, bottom bracket type and so on.

Also frame only can be quite expensive new. The travel varies depending on model and year, will have to look - 140 to 160mm.

What I'd do? Buy a whole new bike! Consider sale bikes around the 1k mark - then swap on any bits that you want/will fit. You'll have a base of parts that all work, and a lot left over to sell.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Meta a solid frame? Have you never heard of the cracking swing arms & drop outs? Why do you think Commencal only give a 6 month frame warranty?
    I would go for either a Giant Reign or Specialized Pitch frame. Orange Five is also worth considering.
    New frames are pretty poor value.
  • supersonic
    Newer ones are, the very old ones were worse.

But you mention the Reign, which has a bad rep too!
  • supersonic
    Anf FYI the META (not Meta 4x) is warrantied for two years.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    But you mention the Reign, which has a bad rep too!

The Reign X has the linkage problem. The standard Reign doesn't suffer because Giant didn't take a large chunk out of the lower link to fit ISCG tabs. The standard Reign is bombproof.
    The Reign X is also a great bike & you would have to ride it very hard to crack a link. I bought mine after a chat with an legendary ex-giant pro rider (DH, 4X, dual slalom, BMX, DJ & FR!) who now owns & rides rides a Reign X & has rode some huge jumps & won DH races on it with no problem.
  • dmorton
    dmorton Posts: 244
    Thanks for replies. I'm aware that new frames aren't always the best value and a complete bike is normally better value. The frame costs can add up I know if I have to buy new BB, headset etc. but it could still work if I check things out.

Looking at the 2011 and 2012 Meta compared to Crush, the headset (intergrated vs. non integ.) and seat tube are different but my Fox 1 1/8" steerer will fit and is long enough for the head tube. Not sure about the BB. I think the brake hoses will be long enough. Front mech will have to be changed for a bottom pull... or I could ditch it to start with and have single ring

The travel miss match is my main concern, 140mm on the front (Fox Float 32 R) and then 150-160mm on the back? Buying new forks would make the frame change option much less viable!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Spesh Stumpy would be my choice to match your forks but all the other parts I dont know about.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Dmorton, Have you taken a look at nukeproof mega am? I'm sure that if you wait a few weeks CRC will have one of their "15% off anyhthing if £300 spent" deals on. Nukeproof is a flawless bike from what iv'e read. However that does not solve you 140-160mm problem :(http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=75355

As it turns out i just noticed £15 off on the CRC advert bar! ;)